• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2024, February 19-25

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Quite the spectacular collapse by UAE there. Yes, their tactics weren't great, but they never are. They're only great when Pogi is in the race, because he wins in ways where tactics don't play a role. But that wasn't what lost them the race, which probably was a bad state dinner with the sultan yesterday.

Van Eetvelt was really impressive. The Belgian climbing project is incredibly successful, just a few years ago they had zero elite level climbers and now they have at least a dozen.
Not the first time UAE-riders collapse. Pogacar twice, in the Tour 2022 and 2023. Now spectacular collapses of McNulty and Vine. I wonder if that has something to do with "medical" preparation going wrong at some point. I don't believe in such coincidences.

Evenepoel, Van Wilder, De Plus, Van Eetvelt, Uijtdebroeks... I don't consider Vansevenant, Lecerf (yet at least), Vanhoucke, Van Gils, Vervaeke, Cras etc elite level climbers. Who are you thinking of?
Henri Vandenabeele was probably the most talented young climber. But he had several medical problems. A serious Covid infection gave him the death blow. He never (fully) recovered from that. No matter how he tries. It is no longer possible for him to get up to standard.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: repre and Sandisfan
Anyone know why Vine and McNulty dropped so early?
Any statement from them?

I understand Vine had lack of training volume due to injuries in winter, McNulty already didn't feel well on Saturday.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He was with overwhelming certainty not the most talented young climber.
One of the most talented young climbers, a few years ago, for sure. Especially in terms of potential. More potential than Van Wilders, Van Gils and Van Eetfelt. Perhaps only Uijtdebroeks and Lambrechts had more potential.

But Vandenabeele never (in theory it's still possible) got the chance to prove/show his talent/potential. Just like Lambrechts. It is also far from certain that Lambrechts would have become a top rider (climber). He didn't become worldchampion in the U23. He had a few results but didn't win a race during his first proyear. Unfortunately it came to a dramatic end in Poland. Most future top riders (but not all) win (major) competitions during their first year. Lambrechts, just as Vandenabeele, would have been one of the better climbers for sure, but not in GT. Too little body on the flat, in hill rides and in TT.

One of the most talented young climbers, a few years ago, for sure. Especially in terms of potential. More potential than Van Wilders, Van Gils and Van Eetfelt. Perhaps only Uijtdebroeks and Lambrechts had more potential.

But Vandenabeele never (in theory it's still possible) got the chance to prove/show his talent/potential. Just like Lambrechts. It is also far from certain that Lambrechts would have become a top rider (climber). He didn't become worldchampion in the U23. He had a few results but didn't win a race during his first proyear. Unfortunately it came to a dramatic end in Poland. Most future top riders (but not all) win (major) competitions during their first year. Lambrechts, just as Vandenabeele, would have been one of the better climbers for sure, but not in GT. Too little body on the flat, in hill rides and in TT.
Please tell me more about the guy i have as an avatar, i clearly had no idea.

No man, Vandenabeele was not the most talented or more talented than Van Wilder or Van Eetvelt. First of all, Van Eetvelt didn't focus on climbing until late in his development, he was always more of a puncher for hilly stages (more like Lambrecht) so there is no way you can make that assessment. It's the very reason he is surprising a lot of people as we speak. Van Wilder did the Belgian Cycling climbing program in Alsace just like Vandenabeele. Not only was Van Wilder's time better than that of Vandenabeele, it was better than that of anyone, including Evenepoel. Maybe Uijtdebroeks eventually broke it, i don't know, but of that generation, he had the best time.

In Lunigiana a climbing stage race for juniors, Vandenabeele finished 33rd. First place Evenepoel, second place Van Wilder.
Van Wilder in his first year U23 finished on the podium of Tour de l'Avenir. Vandenabeele did baby Giro (U23) instead. He finished 19th nearly half an hour down in GC. If he was the biggest climbing talent, he was very good at hiding it, because it didn't show from training numbers/times, nor from actual races.

EDIT: i think you are mistaken Vandenabeele for Vanhoucke (who is 2-3 years older). Harm Vanhoucke, was -much more than Henri Vandenabeele- regarded as a true climbing prospect, and the only rider that was able to drop Bernal at one point and more of a pure climber than Lambrecht. He also had a number of setbacks, mental issues etc. And both rode for DSM and left with their tails between their legs. In case you were talking about Vanhoucke, i can understand where you are coming from, but even then he is by no means the most talented Belgian climber of the past years. Not at all. That generation got overpowered by Van Wilder, Evenepoel, Uijtdebroeks etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: F e r o x
Vandenabeele was or is not more talented than Lambrecht ever was, or Van Eetvelt and Van Wilder are lmao.

Yes the amount of bad luck the guy has had the last 2 years is very painful, I really hope he can get some level again (I have my doubts), but no he is definitely a step below those guys mentioned. And also incredibly dumb, choosing DSM over Lotto.

Talking complete rubish about Lambrecht btw.

Please tell me more about the guy i have as an avatar, i clearly had no idea.

No man, Vandenabeele was not the most talented or more talented than Van Wilder or Van Eetvelt. First of all, Van Eetvelt didn't focus on climbing until late in his development, he was always more of a puncher for hilly stages (more like Lambrecht) so there is no way you can make that assessment. It's the very reason he is surprising a lot of people as we speak. Van Wilder did the Belgian Cycling climbing program in Alsace just like Vandenabeele. Not only was Van Wilder's time better than that of Vandenabeele, it was better than that of anyone, including Evenepoel. Maybe Uijtdebroeks eventually broke it, i don't know, but of that generation, he had the best time.

In Lunigiana a climbing stage race for juniors, Vandenabeele finished 33rd. First place Evenepoel, second place Van Wilder.
Van Wilder in his first year U23 finished on the podium of Tour de l'Avenir. Vandenabeele did baby Giro (U23) instead. He finished 19th nearly half an hour down in GC. If he was the biggest climbing talent, he was very good at hiding it, because it didn't show from training numbers/times, nor from actual races.

You contradict yourself. Van Wilders, who was the best in a test with the young people and was even better than Evenepoel.

That gives at most an indication. But if you really followed cycling you would know that there are many other factors that play a role. Setback (Vandenabeele), physical development, character, the right team....

Despite his "better climbing test", it turned out that Evenepoel, during races, already as a junior climbed much better than Van Wilders. He still does. And Evenepoel is not even a top climber. Van Wilders ? Good in the last UAE-stage. But not good enough. Missing an enormous chance to win the stage and the GC.

Your problem is that you think you always know best. You are not open to the arguments, knowledge and background of others. You are arrogant and stubborn. So that in the long run you are no longer credible. Even if you write sensible things every now and then. Which is sometimes also confirmed by others. But if you always respond with disdain to other people's posts...

Vandenabeele was or is not more talented than Lambrecht ever was, or Van Eetvelt and Van Wilder are lmao.

Yes the amount of bad luck the guy has had the last 2 years is very painful, I really hope he can get some level again (I have my doubts), but no he is definitely a step below those guys mentioned. And also incredibly dumb, choosing DSM over Lotto.

Talking complete rubish about Lambrecht btw.
Well, I wrote that I thought Lambrechts and Uijtdebroeks had a little more potential than Vandenabeele. I hope you agree. But Van Wilders and Van Gils were not more talented than Vandenabeele. For Van Eetvelt, this remains to be seen. I think that, just like I thought about Vandenabeele, he will be especially good in some mountain finishes. But not every mountain stage. So by losing time in some mountain stages and hopefully only in the one time trial, Van Eetvelt and Van Wilders will probably never be eligible for a close place of honor in a GT.

You contradict yourself. Van Wilders, who was the best in a test with the young people and was even better than Evenepoel.

That gives at most an indication. But if you really followed cycling you would know that there are many other factors that play a role. Setback (Vandenabeele), physical development, character, the right team....

Despite his "better climbing test", it turned out that Evenepoel, during races, already as a junior climbed much better than Van Wilders. He still does. And Evenepoel is not even a top climber. Van Wilders ? Good in the last UAE-stage. But not good enough. Missing an enormous chance to win the stage and the GC.

Your problem is that you think you always know best. You are not open to the arguments, knowledge and background of others. You are arrogant and stubborn. So that in the long run you are no longer credible. Even if you write sensible things every now and then. Which is sometimes also confirmed by others. But if you always respond with disdain to other people's posts...
You are a parody. I'm gonna put you on ignore. You are so knowledgable, you don't even know Van Wilder's name has no "s" in it.

No, no contradictions, simply facts. The reason why Evenepoel did worse in that climbing test was because he was playing football half a year earlier and he did those tests weighing 70+kg. Vandenabeele has NOT ONCE shown anything of the level of Van Wilder, not in tests, not in an actual race. Not in the juniors, not in the U23 and not as a pro. Maybe you should take a good look in the mirror because all the things you are saying about me, fit you like a glove.

But again, don't bother responding to me anymore because i won't be reading it.

Edit... i recognize your style. Didn't you have an other account that got banned last year? Edit2: Zoef-Lightning!!!!

Last edited:
Who you think it will be the best climber between Uijtdebroeks and Remco evenepoel?

I read an article last week, where Uijtdebroeks(probably it wasn't recent) was more faster than Remco evenepoel during a test in the same climb.
That was probably the test ITT on hilly terrain they did with their junior team (they both rode for Acrog) that you are talking about. According to the team's DS, Uijtdebroeks did a faster time on the same course. But there are 2-3 years in between, so it's meaningless since we don't know weather/wind conditions etc both rode in. Considering both rider's TT capabilities, it's safe to say that result was quite meaningless. If you are talking about another climb, i don't know, so it's difficult to comment on. It's quite possible Uijtdebroeks has a KOM on a climb Evenepoel also did. Evenepoel also has KOMs on climbs Pogacar and Vingegaard did, does it mean anything?

As for who will end up being the best climber? I think Uijtdebroeks has a more clear cut path ahead of him with far less obstacles since it's basically his only focus. He won't easily try to become WCC RR or ITT, i don't see him winning many classics any time soon either. Basically, he doesn't have the tools or skillset for that and i doubt he will put a lot of effort into developing those skills as it would divert his focus a lot. So that's a completely different story for Evenepoel, who actually does have those tools or already developed them prior to becoming a GT rider. And he also has the ambition to shine in such races. So that's where not only the lack of focus comes into play, but also the problem with his weight, funny as you may think it is. But we'll have to see whether Uijtdebroeks will become a worldbeater, a next Vingegaard, or if he will turn into a Pinot/Bardet type of rider who will come close but never actually win a GT. Basically, 3.5 years ago people thought Almeida was going to be the next big GT gun next to Pogacar, and then he stagnated. Has he improved since leaving QS? Pretty much the same for Vlasov, Hart, Gaudu... how much did those guys improve the past few years?

I think if Evenepoel were to completely drop all other ambitions, and focus completely on becoming the best possible climber he could become, that there is still a lot of untapped potential in him. And it's not because he can physically grow stronger at his age unlike others, but because i think all the building blocks are already present. Logically speaking, he is small (hence potentially lightweight), he pushes among the most watts per kilo of the entire peloton and he is the single best rider in the peloton for long efforts. So i remain convinced he is still far removed from the climbing level he could potentially reach. If he can push numbers on the flat for x hours, there is no reason why he can't push the same numbers on a climb for the same amount of time. Your legs don't know the difference, they just push watts. The only possible partypooper could be high altitude, but i honestly don't believe that will be the case. This is why i always come back to his weight as the big issue. He has the watts, he has the endurance, he is smaller than his rivals, so if they get his weight/nutrition right... But since he constantly shifts focus from classics to WCC TT, to GT, it just makes it harder. Vingegaard isn't going to win RVV or LBL with his GT weight either, so if he wanted to go for such goals, he would also need to buff up and he would also face the same problems. Pogacar is "lucky" that he is a bit taller (than Evenepoel) and that his ideal climbing weight is still close enough to what's needed in the classics, and he also doesn't focus on TT's. Hypothetically, if Evenepoel would only have one focus in a year, just one GT, no classics, no WCC RR or ITT, no Olympics, and basically do what Vingegaard does, then i think we have not seen anything close to what he is capable of.

you say Logic is "arrogant and stubborn" but those two words are easily be confused with "convinced and dogged", "even tenacious can be thrown into the pot. All admirable traits in my opinion. My observation.

It was a weird crash. In quite slow tempo but it was obvious that without the helmet, he would for sure have died.
When it's slow like that you absorb most of the energy when you land. At higher speed, they usually slide.

But it is indeed befuddling to see a sprinter get up again quickly after a high-speed crash, while a simple pile-up in the peloton at low speed can send someone out for a long time. Boonen's 2015 Paris-Nice crash is a good example of that.