• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI bans downhill skinsuits

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
This reads like a piece from The Onion:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/artic...-helmets-for-mountain-bike-competition-19021/

Especially Atherton's comments.

If the photo accompanying the article is representative of the suits, they don't look so bad anyway. Kinda gives the dh racer more of moto-cross look. More rash protection for sure, but it looks f'ing hot (as in "my 8alls feel like they're in a slip-in-slide" hot, not "damn, that looks fine" hot).

I think they should ban the suits because they would just be another cost barrier for young riders. It's highly doubtful that it's aerodynamics that wins dh races.

Olympic Skier-cross had this debate a while ago.... old school Canadians in baggy gear vs. Euro lycra racers.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I was going to start a thread

Baggy or bibs?

so maybe this is a place to start.

I am all about the vibe with the baggies but prefer to ride in bib shorts especially climbing.

I can get away with bib kit on the SS rig but....

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Kind of like snowboarding or Harley riders. You'll never find a bunch of people who talk so much about "freedom" and "individuality" and "not conforming" but you'll rarely find a group of people who have such a standard and narrow dress code.