• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Codes

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey im farely new to cycling and I was wondering if anyone could explain the UCI codes, I understand that they are the classes of the cyclists but can anyone explain the order etc?

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
catmiles said:
Hey im farely new to cycling and I was wondering if anyone could explain the UCI codes, I understand that they are the classes of the cyclists but can anyone explain the order etc?

Not sure if you're looking for the different classifications of teams, or actual races - as neither are particularly descriptive.

For races, my understanding is it goes like this:

Historic (big ones like the Tour, Giro, etc outside Pro Tour classification)
Pro Tour
2.H.C. and 1.H.C (2 meaning multi-day event, 1 meaning single day event)
2.1 and 1.1
2.2 and 1.2
2.3 and 2.3
etc

I can't remember off-hand how far it goes down... I want to say .6, but not certain. The various classifications of races have different guidelines of what level of teams can ride them, and also (I think?) the ratio of representation at the various levels.

There used to be a universal points system for all these races - scaled to the level of the race, but I don't have a good enough grasp to explain the current scenario(s).

For Teams, the levels are:

Pro Tour (Division 1)
Continental Professional (Division 2)
and Continental (Division 3)

Why the UCI couldn't come up with a third name that was completely different, instead of Continental Pro and Continental, is beyond me.

Pro Tour level gets a team automatic entrance into Pro Tour races, however, most of the biggest races fall outside this level. I think there is an agreement in place... not sure, but Pro Tour status may not necessarily get your team into the Tour, Giro etc.

After fallowing the sport for 25 years, that's about as clear as I can make it, while remaining truthful.

I think I have to curl up in a fetal position now. Thank you, UCI!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If you are speaking of the code on a licence Like USA19800101 That is the nationality and birth date of the rider That rider is 20 years old and by age is in the U23 category. In World Championships could only race on the US national team.
UCI race categories are all age based and assume the rider is elite by talent.
U19 is junior, U23 are Riders 19 to 22 except that a 22 year old Pro is Elite.
Elite is 23 to 35 except that riders older may remain elite if amateurs and must remain elite if a pro. After that is Masters.
There are other age categories like cadet (U17) which are not UCI categories in that there is no World Championships.
The race classifications is explained above. In my example that rider is born on January 1, 1980 and a rider born on December 31, 1980 is the same age for the purpose of age categories.
There are ability classes for national races like cat 1 or Cat 5 where I spent most of my racing years.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
If you are speaking of the code on a licence Like USA19800101 That is the nationality and birth date of the rider That rider is 20 years old and by age is in the U23 category.

I think that rider would be 30 years old in 2010. :)