• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Codings..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi
I am new around here and to the sport.
I was looking at the race calendar for road racing events and see that every race has a UCI code 1.1, 2.1, etc.. and wondered what these codings mean?
Sorry for being so ignorant, but i have dived into the sport and want to know as much as i can about it!!!
Thanks in advance!
:)

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Wikipedia has a brief explanation, as does this site archive (though that's a little out of date).

The short version is that a 1.x event is a single-day race, and a 2.x event is a multi-day race. The second digit is an indication of the UCI ranking points available for the event (and thus a rough idea of the standard of the competitiors). HC indicates the most points (and thus the highest expected standard of entrants), with 1, 2, and so on indicating successively lower levels of points and (roughly) prestige.

There's also ProTour events (which, by definition, have all the ProTour teams racing and thus are amongst the strongest fields in the world) and National Events (which don't attract UCI points but the most prestigious of which sometimes have fairly strong riders competing), and special events like the Olympics, World Championships, and National Championships.