• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disclaimer: I know literally ZERO about JN's medical.

I wonder if she has a 'compromised' immune system (genetically or other). The lifestyle of a pro racer means quite a bit of travel, and exposure (to germs and pollen).

Then again, most people get the flu nearly every year so maybe covid is the same for some?

I hope that she gets it figured out!
Well she did have a ruptured spleen once, so there could be some compromise to her immune functions there.

Three Covid infections, plus hay fever meaning she struggles to breathe........Not good. I do wonder just how much damage Covid has done to some athletes. I can imagine in the years to come there will be studies/ reports on its effects in athletes.
Well, only a part time athlete and a lot less after pandemic years ended, but for me, there is a distinct before and after in some medical conditions after covid. Like hay fever, for exemple, always had allergies as a child but they went away when I was between 10-26 y.o. Now, every year since 2021, they always appear during spring.

Disclaimer: I know literally ZERO about JN's medical.

I wonder if she has a 'compromised' immune system (genetically or other). The lifestyle of a pro racer means quite a bit of travel, and exposure (to germs and pollen).

Then again, most people get the flu nearly every year so maybe covid is the same for some?

I hope that she gets it figured out!
I think her immune system has been compromised since that hard crash when riding with Luca Shaw few years ago - I remember her talking that basically non fictional spleen will affect her immune system...

I think her immune system has been compromised since that hard crash when riding with Luca Shaw few years ago - I remember her talking that basically non fictional spleen will affect her immune system...
Your spleen is important to immunity. I didn't realize that hers was non functional.

EDIT: I assume that she/her people have looked at splenectomy protocols? Not necessarily getting one, just following the protocol because if her spleen isn't functioning, its similar to not having one.

Last edited:
Your spleen is important to immunity. I didn't realize that hers was non functional.

EDIT: I assume that she/her people have looked at splenectomy protocols? Not necessarily getting one, just following the protocol because if her spleen isn't functioning, its similar to not having one.
I mentioned her ruptured spleen issues up thread a bit back. She more or less recovered as well as she could from that, but it can still impair one's immune system somewhat, and I imagine novel viruses like covid did not help