• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Points for races

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The question came up in a thread about UCI Team Rankings and where teams received points. The Pdf file at the UCI website is impossible (for me at least) to find more than once out of twenty tries, so I downloaded it last winter. There are four classifications of races, with the Tour de France standing alone, the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana together, and two larger groups. The file is from the end of 2009. My apologies if there have been any small changes since then. The team rankings become a big deal as it was announced the top 17 will earn automatic invitations to the 2011 Tour de France.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=24601

Here are the individual riders who have earned points in UCI races that have points so far this year:

http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template3/layout.asp?MenuId=MjExMw&LangId=1

Here is how the weekly team ranking is computed:

Team classification
art. 2.10.004 :
The team ranking is obtained by adding up the points obtained by the five best riders in the individual ranking. The ranking of teams in the event of a tie will be determined by the place of their best rider in the individual ranking.

The actual points list for races is pretty impossible to find, so I downloaded the PDF file when I had the chance. I even had to correct Cycling Weekly last Fall when they thought the rankings were going to change based on a race that didn't count.

Gent - Wevelgem
Amstel Gold Race
La Flèche Wallonne
Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian - San Sebastian
Vattenfall Cyclassics
GP Ouest France - Plouay
Top ten places get points as follows:
80 - 60 - 50 - 40 - 30 - 22 - 14 - 10 - 6 - 2
Tour Down Under
Tirreno-Adriatico
Milano-Sanremo
Tour des Flandres -