• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI rankings

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I know that we have touched on this in one or two of the other threads but what do people think about the weighting given to the US 'cross events on the UCI calendar?

Clearly, cross has experienced a huge increase in popularity in N America and the UCI is presumably attempting to recognise this by awarding ranking points to the US events.

But, to see TJ (or was it Page?) on the front row of the grid today at Koksijde and then compare his finishing position is surely making a mockery of the rankings as well as impacting on more competitive riders' ability to influence the front of the race?

TJ is/was ranked 5th in the UCI list before the start of today - is it time for a rethink?

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
the US season starts earlier, that's part of the reason the americans have allready a lot of points. But to be honest, the GvA-crosses are only ranked C2, while they have the big 3, but also all the top6 riders in the world and most of the top 15 cyclocrossers actually. Compared to other matches with C2 ranking GvA is top-heavy and much harder competed than most C1 matches outside Belgium and the Superprestige, so at least the GvA should be awarded with more points...

Agree with Matthijs. As I already stated the WC events used to be overwhelmingly overrated before. Now the SP events are almost equal. That's rather positive. But SP being equal to USGP is a joke.

By the way same holds for the Toi Toi Cup. As I saw Bambula on the first grid in Gieten.

By the way sad to read that Stybar is now out for one month. He can forget every rankings. He should have rested these last few weeks, perhaps he would have been out for less time. I think he overdid. :(

"Boonen & Friends" - Mol: This Saturday

Boonen and Peeters will re-organize a cross for roadies in Tom's hometown Mol next Saturday.

Pozzato, Devolder, Ballan, Terpstra, ... will be present, just as last year.

Last year, it was Poz' first ever cross and he was there rather for comedia than for competition. :D Got back Belgian love after behaving as a shadow in springs.

Anyone knows whether it will be streamed? Last year, it was broadcast by EXQI (I don't have it). But races broadcast by this channel (like Tour of Switzerland) were streamed on bvls.eu. So why not? ;)

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
All WC and Flandres races (SP, GvA and some independent races) rule all the other events...
But maybe the high points are trying to force the Flandres top guys to compete in other countries? That can be a good thing actually.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
With the US Nats behind us, can we expect to see the top male Americans grace Europe with their presence this weekend? Jonathan Page excepted because he is here most of the time.

I would expect them all to be racing for World Champs selection and grid places now and defending their top 20 UCI rankings (stop sniggering at the back).

I fear that reality is likely to be no shows and excuses of peaking for last weekend to hide the embarrassment of their World Cup performances. Apparently Powers and Johnson (the two highest ranked Americans) can't be bothered to make it across for 2 of the last four events before St Wendel. Now, I'm sure that they have their reasons - family and Christmas springing immediately to mind - but their lack of attendance should make the UCI think twice about continuing the ridiculous weighting of some US events.

Trebon is scheduled to race Kalmthout.

Last winter, Driscoll and Powers raced quite a few crosses in Belgium after the US Nat. So we might expect the same.

Driscoll raced the last three WC events (Zolder, Roubaix, Hoogerheide), JPow, the last two. They also raced Loenhout, Diegem, Sint Niklaas, ...

Wells also raced a lot in Europe. But I don't remember having come across Johnson's name that much in the race results.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The point is at what point do the UCI look like complete jack*sses for continuing to grant US events equivalent points to GvA and Superprestige? On what planet can Powers and Johnson be justified as being worthy of their top 10 UCI ranking? Between them they can muster one top 20 finish in a World Cup event and zero top 20 finishes in a GvA or Superprestige.

It's laughable that Jonathan Page would have to start two rows behind Powers and Johnson at a World Cup race. As for starting behind Driscoll, Trebon, Wells and Jones, well, it's risible ffs.

The sad thing is that when Jonathan Page is looking for funds to continue his racing career at the top level, the six Americans above him in the rankings will have a better chance of snagging any American corporate cash.

I do apologise for continually banging on about this but it does make me 'cross' :mad:

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sven Nys Tops UCI World Ranking again a soufflé deux Belgique

1. Sven Nys (’Kannibal from Baal’) 1.250 points
2. Niels Albert 1.098 p
3. Kevin Pauwels 1.040 p
4. Zdenek Stybar 1.015 p (Down from Top Spot)
5. Francis Mourey 902 p
6. Bart Aernouts
7. Klaas Vantornout
8. Bart Wellens