• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI *should* cancel Tour of Beijing

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
UCI should cancel the Tour of Beijing, it is a scandal that Argos Shimano unable to attend because of a conflict between China and Japan.
Will the UCI does not cancel, the various Teams unite and strike.
China must immediately excluded from the Pro Tour.
This is a google translationUCI Should

Per Bolvig Hansen said:
UCI should cancel the Tour of Beijing, it is a scandal that Argos Shimano unable to attend because of a conflict between China and Japan.
Will the UCI does not cancel, the various Teams unite and strike.
China must immediately excluded from the Pro Tour.
This is a google translationUCI Should

The conflict is not the reason why this race should be cancelled.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd also rather have another Tour take it's place but I can't see that happening. Sports are desperate to tap into growth markets with China being one of the most attractive markets to target. The UCI won't drop the Tour of Beijing while they perceive China as potential area for massive growth of the sport.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Cancel this race and make Tour of Cali/Paris-Tours WT.

California could be WT tomorrow if they want to, but they don't. It would cost them a lot more money and they wouldn't be able to pick the teams they like as they can now (most notably the CT's).

Slava101 said:
I'd also rather have another Tour take it's place but I can't see that happening. Sports are desperate to tap into growth markets with China being one of the most attractive markets to target. The UCI won't drop the Tour of Beijing while they perceive China as potential area for massive growth of the sport.

Huh? Why would China be an attractive market?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I read the title of this thread and thought that it had been canceled for a moment, but then read the first post and saw that the thread was about why they should cancel the race :(

Anyone, I agree the race should be canceled. There are much better places to hold WT races then China.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Money talks with greed and corruption following. Unfortunately the precedent was set when Beijing got the Olympics, with even the road race parading around Tienemen square as if it were some kind of park filled with national pride. Those who vehemently objected to the Olympic selection, even outside China, were quickly put to silence in some way.

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
There aren't enough days in the year to add WT races to the ones already extant, regardless of how many markets need to be breached. Yes it should go away.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Huh? Why would China be an attractive market?
Huge and growing middle class with disposable income, who they hope they can sell the sport of cycling too. Plus the Chinese government is keen to have prestigious events held in their country and I'm sure this makes easier from an organisational standpoint.

auscyclefan94 said:
Keep the sport away from a country which really does not give a ****. I don't want any races in China.
I reckon in twenty-odd years a reaction like this one will look pretty stupid ;)

China isn't some underdeveloped backwater anymore, it will soon be the most powerful nation in the world, with the biggest economic resources. For the survival of the sport of cycling it's simply necessary that the UCI tap into this massive potential.

Whether they're doing it the right way, and actually helping the sport, that's a different story. And whether Chinese politics should sort out its nationalistic bullcr.p is another.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I reckon in twenty-odd years a reaction like this one will look pretty stupid ;)

China isn't some underdeveloped backwater anymore, it will soon be the most powerful nation in the world, with the biggest economic resources. For the survival of the sport of cycling it's simply necessary that the UCI tap into this massive potential.

Whether they're doing it the right way, and actually helping the sport, that's a different story. And whether Chinese politics should sort out its nationalistic bullcr.p is another.

China is still but a mere shadow of what it used to be.

SafeBet said:
You got a link or any source on that?
I'm curious to know more about it.

Hmm, I can't remember where I read it, I think it was The Economist, will look.

Edit: http://www.economist.com/node/21563301 Mentioned here.

It cites the paper "Chinese Nationalism and its Political and Social Origins" by Darr, Benjamin and Tang, Wenfang (September 2012). I might be able to access it via my school connection, but obviously can't publish it, since it's copyrighted.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
We'll have two races in China next year and how long will it be before the UCI merge them to form a 4th Grand Tour? Is the race going to be decided on an opening time trial again? I can't be bothered to check out the profiles.

Arnout said:
Hmm, I can't remember where I read it, I think it was The Economist, will look.

Edit: http://www.economist.com/node/21563301 Mentioned here.

It cites the paper "Chinese Nationalism and its Political and Social Origins" by Darr, Benjamin and Tang, Wenfang (September 2012). I might be able to access it via my school connection, but obviously can't publish it, since it's copyrighted.

Actually US is second in that article.