• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI world rankings

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I've put in a lot of time on threads about UCI points before, so I'll say two things and leave this to the rest of you.

#1 The races, and the points available for performances at each, are known to the teams before they plan their schedules. There's nothing mystical about it. If UCI Points are your goal, you send your best available squads to those races, if you can get an invitation. If you choose your race priorities and rider allocations based on other considerations, you don't gripe about not earning points. And I haven't heard a team or rider do so. Granted, the ASO announcement put a bit more importance on it for some teams. There are all of the grand tours and monuments, other one day races and stage races of around a week, so it's pretty balanced - hardly biased for or against anyone.

#2 Contador, the guy who won last year, obviously isn't putting a lot of emphasis on it. I think it's safe to say he had a shot at finishing top five in a stage at Pais Vasco, or top ten in the GC, but he's riding Castilla y Leon instead. I imgine he and the Astana management were aware of the sacrifice when they decided on the change of schedule, and were obviously cool with it. He could earn some points at La Fleche Wallone and Liege Bastogne Liege, but otherwise he's down to the Dauphine Libere and the Tour. There's an outside chance he'll ride the Vuelta. But my main point is, Rider of the Year is up for grabs even if he wins the Tour de France. Cheers.

Bye the way, another side note for all you BMC lovers

The World ranking is bad comparison matter, because teams like Vacansoleil didn't get as many wild cards as BMC. For instance, Vacansoleil wasn't part in races like Down Under, Catalunya and didn't get invites to Fleche and LBL

How are you supposed to score World Tour points if you are not invited in them? BMC gets invites only because of Evans and barely does anything worthwhile.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The World Ranking says absolutely nothing, complete bull**** of a ranking.
How can Cancellara not lead it? Because LL Sanchez rides Down Under, Paris Nice and Catalunya?? Come on. In Catalunya a neo pro like Kreder can top 10. What does it really say?

So for a more logical BMC/Vacans comparison, take CQ, which actually gives a much more logical ranking.

1. Usa Team HTC - Columbia PRT 2937
2. Esp Caisse d'Epargne PRT 2783
3. Ita Liquigas - Doimo PRT 2464
4. Rus Team Katusha PRT 2452
5. Den Team Saxo Bank PRT 2415
6. Usa Garmin - Transitions PRT 2083
7. Ned Rabobank PRT 1989
8. Ned Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team PROF 1938
9. Usa Team RadioShack PRT 1878
10. Kaz Astana PRT 1845

23. Usa BMC Racing Team PROF 1127

Ouch, BMC owned.
Wow, that's painful for the Ballanless Mötley Crüe. I'm becoming more and more annoyed by the fact that Vacansoleil are missing out on both Ardennes classics and the Tour. It's just not right. BMC have the names, Vacansoleil have the results.

edit: and, on topic: the UCI world rankings are, naturally, complete bullcrap.

TRENDING THREADS