• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Cycling brass asks members to contribute to doping inquiry

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...asks-members-contribute-doping-inquiry_319883

"USA Cycling leaders are calling for the federation’s members to come forward and assist the Cycling Independent Reform Commission (CIRC) in its investigation of doping and corruption in the sport.

In the e-mail distributed Wednesday, USAC president and CEO Steve Johnson and board of directors chair Bill Peterson appealed to “any USA Cycling members to come forward with any information that can assist the CIRC in its inquiry."

Can this be for real? After all of the maneuvering to protect Wonderboy? Talk about closing the gate after the horse has already bolted!

Coming from Johnson especially, this is like a bad joke!

293147d1394752531-usa-cycling-brass-asks-members-contribute-doping-inquiry-1982103_10203120647197770_1168199716_n.jpg

Fausto's Schnauzer said:
Coming from Johnson especially, this is like a bad joke!

Maybe Allen Lim can lie to them too? He seems like just the kind of guy they want to ban anyway with the anti-doping controversy he generates.

You know, this might be a good opportunity for Tammy Thomas to get some payback on the federation that well and truly screwed her up.

...one of whom introduced her to performance-enhancing drugs, while USA Cycling and the U.S. Olympic Committee ignored and even encouraged the pattern.

"They should have been more concerned about my health back then instead of winning a medal," Thomas says. "And they should take responsibility for what they did. At the very least, they should help me overcome all this so I can have a normal life."

USA Cycling and the USOC denied Thomas' allegations, though the USOC said it has and will continue to provide her assistance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/03/01/doping-scandal-haunts-tammy-thomas/1958053/

The UCI won't take down one of their own in Johnson and Wiesel.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Johnson certainly has some chutzpah, given that he was one of the first to try to claim that the revelations about Armstrong were just a part of a 'French conspiracy'. He is probably as complicit as Verbruggen was in covering up Armstrong's doping.

Outside Magazine, December 2005

J'Accuse

A few days after the story broke, though, Armstrong spent an hour on CNN's Larry King Live dismissing the L'Equipe report, contending it was unfair because it came from a tabloid newspaper reporter's efforts, rather than through formal anti-drug protocols. A few days later, the chief operating officer of USA Cycling, the governing body responsible for punishing bike-racing drug cheaters in this country, was quoted in more than 100 newspapers dismissing the L'Equipe piece as the scandalmongering of a French tabloid newspaper, adding, in a remarkable echo of Armstrong's public position, that the positive drug results were unfair because they had been exposed by a news reporter, rather than through formal drug-policing protocols.

"To me, this is an issue for the French people. They seemed very concerned about it, and frankly I don't care what they think. And I don't think Lance does either," Reuters quoted USA Cycling COO Steve Johnson as saying last week. "This is just a publication in a French tabloid newspaper. That's our perspective."

And there the story seemed to peter out. And why not? There's no point bothering with drug allegations that the doping cops of American cycling say are bogus, right?

By week's end, the story had disappeared from the U.S. media, just in time for the Barclays Global Investors Grand Prix SF, the bike race local investment banker Thom Weisel brought to the city four years ago with the help of Armstrong, who lent his prestigious presence to the race during its first two years. The unsavory subject of doping faded. Lance Armstrong, and the massive publicity empire that surrounds him, remained relatively unscathed, able to enjoy his July 2005 retirement with the inspiring tale intact of his comeback from cancer to win the first of seven Tours de France in 1999.

There happens to be more to USA Cycling's pooh-poohing of the charges against Armstrong than the news headlines suggested, however. This isn't merely an instance of U.S. doping cops repelling spurious French charges against an American superhero.

Johnson, the widely quoted USA Cycling official, appears to suffer from a serious conflict of interest between his organization's role as a doping cop and his personal, institutional, and financial ties to the diversified business world surrounding Lance Armstrong. Financier Weisel is Armstrong's longtime patron, employer, investment manager, and friend. Weisel is also Johnson's longtime patron and friend and the founder of a nonprofit entity that employs him.

And then there's this little fact: Johnson essentially works for Armstrong. In addition to serving as chief operating officer of USA Cycling, Johnson is executive director of the USA Cycling Development Foundation, an affiliated nonprofit organization founded by Weisel, who serves as president of the board of directors, according to the foundation's most recently available IRS returns, filed in 2003. According to the foundation's current Web site, the board of directors now includes Lance Armstrong.

Robert21 said:
Johnson certainly has some chutzpah, given that he was one of the first to try to claim that the revelations about Armstrong were just a part of a 'French conspiracy'. He is as complicit as Verbruggen was in covering up Armstrong's doping.

Fixed that for you.

Another guy that got off Scott free from the Armstrong fraud.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Johnson's Latest Denial

USA Cycling president and CEO Steve Johnson is refuting claims he knew of the U.S. Postal Service team’s doping regimen this week after a new book claimed a former rider had expressed concern over performance-enhancing drug use to the USAC leader.

In her new book, Cycle of Lies, New York Times reporter Juliet Macur writes that Dave Zabriskie, formerly of USPS and later Garmin-Sharp, told Johnson of the Postal team’s drug usage shortly after Frankie Andreu’s admission of PED use in 2006.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...edge-postal-doping_320736#KD7YZl523mhpKpQT.99

What is also ridiculous, is how USAC increased all annual license fees for racers. they changed to model for separate licenses, to an all inclusive basically. So you went from $40/yr, to now $70.

They wouldn't release and tell how many actually ride BOTH road and mountain bike during any season. Maybe I should request those stats via email to get that info.

So, under that guise, they raised the fees like 70% for an annual license, and now you get a mountain bike license/cross as part of it...big deal. I don't race those, and if I did, you should pay for each, which would cost you more, but so what, they are two separate seasons, and you get those disciplines.

So they instead decide, hey, let's just make everybody pay more, thus making us more money, and let them race anything. OK, but sneaky backdoor way to increase total revenues.

http://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycling-announces-new-single-domestic-racing-license.htm

I know, what does this have to do with doping..well, IMO....

If Mr. Steve Johnson, and USAC powers that be are so concerned about doping, how about taking some of that money you just made off annual license fees, and putting it towards the anti-doping movement? If you really care that is.

TRENDING THREADS