• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Cycling Nevada State Championships @ Bootleg Canyon 2-19/20, 2011

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
For the 1st time since 2006 USA Cycling has a State/Regional Championship DH event in Nevada, and the 1st time EVER @ Bootleg Canyon!.

Please note that you do NOT have to be a Nevada State resident to race or win.

The weekend (Presidents Day 2011) will also include a Super D race on Saturday 2-19 and a Open Chainless DH immediately after the main DH event on Sunday 2-20,2011. More information can be found on our event website: www.downhillmike.com

Online registration can easily be found on our event website.
See ya at the race
Downhill Mike
nevada%20state%20championship%20web%20site%20size.jpg

Alternatives?

DownhillMike,

Good luck with the event.

If you want to do it again in 2012, maybe you should consider going with an Independent federation? They won't tax your prize purse. Imagine offering a $20,000 purse. USAC takes a percentage (~7%) right off the top. Another federation won't discourage growing your event in this way. Another federation will be happy to arrange a similar title. Best of all, racers will still show up. It's a race for a title after all!

In California/Nevada, you might want to contact californiabicycleracing.org.

I do wish you the best with the event regardless of federation sanction. We don't have enough racing.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
We have been putting on USA Cycling races for the past 5 years and USAC has never taxed our prize purse which now totals $29,000.00 for 7 events.

We have been pleased with USAC.
I appreciate the suggestion though.

Good Info

So, you are averaging a USD$ 4,000 purse. USAC's low-end events are attractive to promoters at that average purse. Two follow-up questions,

1. What happens to your costs when the purse for ONE event is $20,000?
2. What would make you switch federations? It's an honest question.

To be abundantly clear, more racing is better. I appreciate the effort.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
So, you are averaging a USD$ 4,000 purse. USAC's low-end events are attractive to promoters at that average purse. Two follow-up questions,

1. What happens to your costs when the purse for ONE event is $20,000?
2. What would make you switch federations? It's an honest question.

To be abundantly clear, more racing is better. I appreciate the effort.

01) We have never had an opportunity to offer a cash purse that large.
02) Money for a cash purse from sponsors would do it. If the cash purse came from the bike industry, then we could charge less for registration. That is really how it should be, as the companies are all making a profit. With enough cash the racers will show up. The U.S. Open is an example of that.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
downhillmike said:
For the 1st time since 2006 USA Cycling has a State/Regional Championship DH event in Nevada, and the 1st time EVER @ Bootleg Canyon!.

Please note that you do NOT have to be a Nevada State resident to race or win.

Could you clarify this championship event? Is this the SCNCA championship?

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hardly any climbing and only a couple of flat spots near the bottom on the super d course. Since the sd is all single-track it will NOT be a mass start super d race.
The Super D course will start on either Skyline or Boyscout to Girlscout. Basically, some of the best mt. bike trails anywhere! These trails were hand built by Brent Thomson, who IMBA says they are still learning from. Thanks again Brent!

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
2-5-11 Update:
Canfield Brothers will be sponsoring the worlds 1st Single-Speed DH race.

This brings the total to 4 different races during the event. Downhill, Super D, Open Chainless DH and Open Single-Speed DH.
167546_1656432243893_1029691277_31454079_522974_n.jpg

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BTW how large a turn out do you expect for the 14U? that is so key to the sport especially as the industry prices kids out of the game.

I was really surprised when I saw the number of Jr cats offered.

Update us on the number of kids and how young.

this takes work man good job.

I have often wondered how to expand the lower divisions. How one might expose kids to this with out a second mortgage for equipment.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
"If the 29er has a place in DH it is a straight run "

1 Jeff Frampton Boulder City, NV/All Mountain Cyclery 3:39.20
2 Christopher Canfield Layton, UT/Canfield Brothers Bikes 3:40.05
3 Gene Hamilton Morrison, CO/ Betterride.net 3:42.15
4 Lance Canfield Jackson, WY/Canfield Brothers Bikes 3:44.32

If you haven't seen the aerial video yet check out the Nevada State DH Video tab on www.downhillmike.com. The aerial footage really shows the dh course nicely!
dh-practice.jpg

I am stoked you've been enjoying the updates! Almost ready to jump full speed ahead into my next event Whiteface/Wilmington Bike Festival. New thread coming for that one.
dh-practice-2.jpg

2011_nevada_state_champs51s.jpg

2011_nevada_state_champs27s.jpg

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I think what I mean is a smaralik way is horses for courses.

Like GS and Super g and DH in skiing now all gravity bikers have a selection of tools to fit a course.

I ride a 29er every day now but there are times I wish I had a 26 fully and most of those times are in a turny technical run

Canfield bros would have done better on their Yelli Screamy IMHO :eek: