• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Procycling Challenge 2013 (2.HC)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
FredMorton_zps57487593.png

I have come to clean the pool

Pricey_sky said:
Had he held on up Alpe D'Huez it would have been a very good year for him. He needs a good Tour (top 8) next year.

Indeed, hopefully he'll be able to focus more on the Tour de France in 2014, with the two big domestic stage races in the bank. I think we should see him take it a bit more easy in California next year.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Etape 5 : Vail Time Trial 16.100 KM.
Overall Individual Points Kom Youngs Courageous Teams Jerseys
Stage Individual Points Kom Youngs Teams
CLM Heures de départ Intermédiare 1 Arrivée
Arrivée
Place Dossard Nom Prénom Pays Equipe Temps
1 31 Tejay VAN GARDEREN BMC Racing Team 00:25:01.94
2 7 Andrew TALANSKY Garmin-Sharp 00:00:04
3 2 Tom DANIELSON Garmin-Sharp 00:01:02
4 32 Stephen CUMMINGS BMC Racing Team 00:01:04
Now a quote from cyclingnews' report
Van Garderen covered the 16.1km mostly uphill route in 25:01, more than 46 seconds faster than the previous course record set by Levi Leipheimer in 2011.
I used to have an excellent memory, age has been taking its toll, but still I seem to remember that in 1986 Bernard Hinault won a 16 km uphill TT starting in Vail in 25:07 (Coors classic).

I was wondering if by any chance that was on the same course considering that the TTs are both 16 km and that the times differ only by a few seconds.

I know I had noted the result on a piece of paper that used to be in my calculator holder, but is not there anymore. Hope my brain is not playing tricks on me.

Anybody knows anything about the 1986 course? (Longo had won the ladies race, but I don't remember her time)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Peter von said:
Indeed, hopefully he'll be able to focus more on the Tour de France in 2014, with the two big domestic stage races in the bank. I think we should see him take it a bit more easy in California next year.

+1, while winning your home races is nice, if a rider wants to progress and move forward in the sport then they need to target the bigger races and peak more towards them. I hope he doesn't become the next Leipheimer that can only win the American races, but instead starts placing the European races as his main goal and target.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hinault’s time was 26:56 according to this report. latimes 1986-08-18 Not sure about the course. Sounds like it may be the same as I read some reports saying the ’13 TT was returning to the iconic ’86 course.

A tweet from one of the riders of this year’s race:

Tyler Wren @twrenegade Aug 23
Andy Hampsten rode a 26:33 Vail Pass TT in 1987 & that course record stood for 21 years.That time would have been 12th today @ #ProChallenge

northstar said:
Hinault’s time was 26:56 according to this report. latimes 1986-08-18 Not sure about the course. Sounds like it may be the same as I read some reports saying the ’13 TT was returning to the iconic ’86 course.

A tweet from one of the riders of this year’s race:

Tyler Wren @twrenegade Aug 23
Andy Hampsten rode a 26:33 Vail Pass TT in 1987 & that course record stood for 21 years.That time would have been 12th today @ #ProChallenge
Thanks a lot for that link!
As for my memory, I see that I can't trust it blindly anymore :(

(Now I need to know what that 25:07 really corresponds to, it must be for some reason that my brain links it to Hinault)

Ryo Hazuki said:
I call bs. myabe the organiser doesn't want it for different reasons but don't go out and say european riders aren't suitable to it. qinghai lake goes to over 4000 metres and wt teams are there

btw there are uci races where they go to 5000 metres (bolivia) and there are even european teams there

I was looking for info on the 2.2 race VUELTA AL SUR DE BOLIVIA 2013, which was supposed to climb as high as 4500 meters on the stage ending in Oruro.

Your claim of 5000 meters for a UCI race in Bolivia is almost certainly false as there aren't any paved road in Bolivia above 4653 meters as far as I know, unless the fairly new road 41 between La Cumbre (4653 m, pass leading to Yungas) and El Alto goes a little bit above that altitude ( I have not been on that one)
---------
I just posted this on the South American thread :

It looks like stage 8 from Vila-Vila to El Alto goes through Unduavi and presumably uses Road 41 between La Cumbre pass (at 4653 meters according to the road marker) and El Alto.

I am curious about that road which I discovered recently just looking at google map.

I don't have a profile but it seems to hover for a long distance around 4500-4700 meters with ups and downs.

Anybody here has cycled on that road? Was it used on previous years?

TRENDING THREADS