• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA XCT Fail

I'm really late to this story.... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/colorado-us-pro-xct-cancelled

USAC asks for a good deal of money to put your race on the XCT schedule. Per the article, the money-side of the event doesn't pencil out. I don't know how the promoter thought he was going to make it work because there are very few USAC members in Colorado.

Meanwhile, Sea Otter is going strong,
with Northern California a big chunk of USAC's membership. But the region's non-USAC sanctioned events are growing while USAC events are not growing.

How much is a good deal of money?

If it's like having your race on the NRC road racing calendar, it's not that USAC asks for any money, it is that USAC requires the promoter to have a minimum cash prize list to pay the pros, something I think the racers would really really want in a race.

I don't recall that USAC charges anythiing other than what you pay for the officials, etc. My understanding is that USAC requires a minimum prize list for races to be part of the series.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
You might be on to something here. It seems they cant see beyond their own organization. and some wonder why there are so few youth races.

this is a real issue that gets on my nerves. I hope others blast away here so I can say what I really feel

you sir I feel are holding back as well

bring the heat

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
If you race XC stuff in Colorado, you're a member of USAC. The ACA only does road and cross stuff FYI. Many of the endurance events are separate of course, and these are what have gained the most popularity in recent years. Interesting correlation no doubt. A huge problem aside from USAC with the XCT is the XC part, not the T part in my opinion. Much of this is well covered in the why is mtb racing dead thread a few pages back.

Not disagreeing at all with any anti USAC sentiment here though, their policies and management are highly debatable re: mountain biking.

I don't know why Sea Otter is so popular, I never cared for the course, but it's a big industry gathering, so people travel for it I guess. Curious how the amateur participation is there these days?

joe1265 said:
How much is a good deal of money?

If it's like having your race on the NRC road racing calendar, it's not that USAC asks for any money, it is that USAC requires the promoter to have a minimum cash prize list to pay the pros, something I think the racers would really really want in a race.

I don't recall that USAC charges anythiing other than what you pay for the officials, etc. My understanding is that USAC requires a minimum prize list for races to be part of the series.

NRC, $850 just to apply. 7% tax on purse goes to USAC + UCI and multiple USAC officials + UCI event compliance costs + $3 for every racer.

XCT no documentation. They are UCI conscripted events. So, expensive. UCI sanctioning doesn't attract the weekend warriors needed to fund the cost of UCI sanctioning. They have specific course requirements that are, well, boring..

I stand corrected on the USAC mountain bike presence. It is the entirety of their presence in Colorado. Does anyone have a link to a decent calendar of events? USAC is showing about 10 for all year including marathon?

I just checked the AMBC events (no UCI sanction) and they require 300 attendees. Two of the events I checked, 1 got 266 the other 363. No wonder the guy in Colorado cancelled. Imagine trying to spread the costs of UCI sanctioning over 300 racers..

It should be noted while there is an NRC and an XCT series, the only thing gained in winning is bragging rights. USAC contributes nothing.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Mountain States Cup Series--USAC license required, unfortunately

The USAC calender doesn't have every event on their schedule for 2011. If you look at last year there was 37 USAC mtn bike events in Co, not including some great collegiate racing in the fall. Probably be around that many again this year.

I forgot to mention that there's also good XC races outside of USAC or the ACA. Winter Park Series and the Four Corners Cup are both good--no governing body needed. There's a lot of races here every year.

My personal rant on USAC was that in order to race "pro" I needed to buy a UCI license, which was $150/year. Lame. In many years, I didn't do any international races, all I wanted to do was race the best in the States--what the crap did I want a UCI license for.