• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USPS Commissioned Reports

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
In terms of "sponsorship," I never understood why the USPS didn't take advantage of the commercial opportunity outside of having their logo attached to the team.

Consider their oft repeated motto,
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

I can't imagine a more appropriate theme to be intertwined with a pro cycling team. However, I never once saw a single commercial featuring the team in all those years. I know they filmed at least one, with Landis and other riders (I believe Robbie Ventura as well) but I never saw it.

They made a few lame "guys on bikes delivering mail" commercials. It was as stupid as one can imagine a USPS commercial starring bike racers might be.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
In terms of "sponsorship," I never understood why the USPS didn't take advantage of the commercial opportunity outside of having their logo attached to the team.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

I can't imagine a more appropriate theme to be intertwined with a pro cycling team. However, I never once saw a single commercial featuring the team in all those years. I know they filmed at least one, with Landis and other riders (I believe Robbie Ventura as well) but I never saw it.

Did anyone in Europe ever see any advertisements, of any kind, outside of cycling for the USPS? If they were trying to increase their "brand awareness" for overseas shipping I would hope that they did more than just provide logos to the team.

I'm equally confounded by the fact that they didn't use Lance & Friends to advertise domestically to compete against UPS, FedEx and the like. If they did, it was money poorly spent because it eluded my eyes. And believe me, I would've noticed. You support a cycling team, with millions of dollars, that dominates the biggest, most competitive race on the planet; your company exists solely to provide a service of getting things from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as possible; and the insanely obvious connection between the two is never exploited? :confused:

That should be of equal concern to anyone reviewing past financial agreements.

Maybe the USPS did not want to exploit Lance, as per this article:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...rity-USPS-Not-Out-To-147Exploit148-Lance.aspx

Why would the USPS be "afraid" to exploit Lance?
Maybe they KNEW it could backfire per Kieth Olbermann's parting comment.
Olbermann said:
"To assume he's a great role model because he's a great athlete or he survived cancer &#8212]
It appears the USPS knew how pro cycling worked way back then. Duh.

deliversagian.jpg

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:

This is the kind of advertising that you do when your audience doesn't know the "Neither snow or rain..." mantra. Which is why it was dumb to sponsor a bike racing team.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Maybe the USPS did not want to exploit Lance, as per this article:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...rity-USPS-Not-Out-To-147Exploit148-Lance.aspx

Why would the USPS be "afraid" to exploit Lance?
Maybe they KNEW it could backfire per Kieth Olbermann's parting comment.

It appears the USPS knew how pro cycling worked way back then. Duh.
Very interesting link. Although it raises as many questions as it does answers.

Benotti69 said:
i wonder did USPS do any special deliveries for the team. now they might be worth back tracking.
Oh, the delicious possibilities implied by that!
Perhaps the USPS was in on the whole thing. They facilitated the delivery of doping products far and wide, to all points on the map. Along the way they obfuscate the money trail as much as possible...:eek:

Life is rarely so much fun though. :D

TRENDING THREADS