• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USPS secondhand Pro Bike for sale.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
But equally worrying is according to the WSJ article is that half the bikes that were sold on did not come from 'authorized' sources and were not part of any agreement from the sponsor Trek.
But that is my point. A friend of mine once approached a ski racer during a training run at the Aspen WinterNationals (Mens World Cup Downhill race during the 80's) and gave the racer a crisp $100 for his skis. While technically an 'authorized' source, it is an unusual path that lead to my friend racing in the town downhills on NameWithheld's pro-stock skis.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Before everyone gets all worked up, I'll point out that in many sports, equipment that the top competitors use often winds up in odd places....
That these people then decide to sell said equipment is hardly an indictment against the team, or individual, that initially released it into the general public.

The problem appears to be that it was not only used equipment that was sold. Riders were allegedly not getting the quality of product that they required because the mechanics had to keep some bikes in shape so they could be sold. This is a far different issue than selling off used gear at season's end.

pedaling squares said:
The problem appears to be that it was not only used equipment that was sold. Riders were allegedly not getting the quality of product that they required because the mechanics had to keep some bikes in shape so they could be sold. This is a far different issue than selling off used gear at season's end.

Yup. Flandis never had a time trial bike to train with while at Postal. I wonder how much gear those TT bikes bought. Maybe the money just went into the pockets of Bruyneel and Armstrong.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You didn't answer my question - where should I put it? I did not give any reference to Clinic talk.
True, but given the OBVIOUS implication, I will NOT insult you and suggest you are simply an idiot and your question is delivered naively.

Dr. Maserati said:
From the WSJ article
You mean the WSJ article furthering the Landis doping controversy? The one that DIRECTLY involves accusations of drug use in the peloton? Hmmmm...sensing a trend here...

Dr. Maserati said:
When have I ever painted you as an LA fanboy or apologist?

Playing your game, you never have, nor did I imply that. Others who share your invective have done so, but since I never accused you directly, I find your defensiveness confusing. ;)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:
True, but given the OBVIOUS implication, I will NOT insult you and suggest you are simply an idiot and your question is delivered naively.

You mean the WSJ article furthering the Landis doping controversy? The one that DIRECTLY involves accusations of drug use in the peloton? Hmmmm...sensing a trend here...

Playing your game, you never have, nor did I imply that. Others who share your invective have done so, but since I never accused you directly, I find your defensiveness confusing. ;)

Again - its a Pro bike, for sale by the brother of the UCI President.

I did carefully choose which forum to put it in - and since you cannot answer where it should go and it has not been moved by the mods I believe I made the correct decision.

There is absolutely no need to to talk about anything that should be in the Clinic - this is not about that - it is highlighting and querying why and how Darach McQuaid has a USPS team issue bike for sale in light of, yes Floyds (non doping) comments, where he says that bikes for use by a pro team were sold off beforehand against an agreement by Trek.

As for - "Share my invective" - whats my invective (or indeed theirs)?

You are correct there are rules here in the forum - I have not broken them, I am interested in the acquisition of the bikes. If someone else wants to discuss their disposal then that would be better served in the Clinic.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Agree to a point - surplus stock is often sold at the end of a season and bikes often become available through different sources.
Indeed I once had the opportunity (but sadly not the funds) to buy a Pro bike direct from a rider.

But there are 2 points that are different about Darach McQuaid.
The obvious is that he is possession of a USPS team issue Trek - I don't believe I need to articulate the conflict of interest with his brother being President of the UCI.

But equally worrying is according to the WSJ article is that half the bikes that were sold on did not come from 'authorized' sources and were not part of any agreement from the sponsor Trek.

Doc: you aren't saying it so I will: this is Quid Pro Quo reimbursement and subsequenent cashing in by unsophisticated, second-tier gangsters. McQuaid's relatives selling anything without a receipt is as outrageous as not having accounting for, lets say; "testing" equipment funded by the same source absent or receipt of "donation" and receipt of purchase for the "testing" equipment. Like any good bust-follow the money.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
jmax22 said:
What's a Darach McQuaid?

It's a large Irish bird that makes a nest out of brown paper bags stuffed with money left by passing cyclists.

There is also the Pat McQuaid which is the same bird but denies ever making a nest.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Hotbrakes said:
It's a large Irish bird that makes a nest out of brown paper bags stuffed with money left by passing cyclists.

There is also the Pat McQuaid which is the same bird but denies every making a nest.

I thought it was Irish slang for the stain you get in your undies after sharting. But I could be wrong.

TRENDING THREADS