• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valery Kaikov (RusVelo) tests positive

Dear Wiggo said:
7 years ago.

When everyone in the USADA case stopped doping.

Where the flippin' 'eck does it come from?

Stockpiled for those who could not manage to work on their marginal gains. :rolleyes:

The unapproved drug market is as old as the approval process and has been going on for almost a century.

"...FDA estimates that there are thousands of illegally marketed unapproved drugs currently on the market. ..."

Unfortunately, PEDs haven't made the crackdown list:

Enforcement Actions by Drug Class

Since the Compliance Policy Guide was published, FDA has removed numerous unapproved drug products from the market. Generally, the Agency has focused its enforcement efforts on classes of unapproved drugs or firms marketing unapproved drugs.

Balanced Salt Solution (ophthalmic) Products
Carbinoxamine Drug Products
Codeine Sulfate Tablets
Colchicine Products
Cough, Cold, and Allergy Products
Epinephrine 0.3 mg prefilled single dose syringe
Ergotamine-Containing Drug Products
Timed-Release Drug Products Containing Guaifenesin
Hydrocodone Drug Products
Unapproved Narcotics Containing Morphine Sulfate, Hydromorphone, or Oxycodon
Unapproved Nitroglycerin Sublingual Tablets
Unapproved Ophthalmic Drug Products
Unapproved Oxycodone Single-Ingredient, Immediate Release Drug Products for Oral Administration
Topical Drug Products Containing Papain
Quinine Sulfate Drug Products
Sodium Nitrite Injection and Sodium Thiosulfate Injection Products
Trimethobenzamide Hydrochloride Suppositories

If the FDA isn't following up, then it is unlikely that other countries are investing much effort.

Dave.

How come there are apparently quite a few cases all of a sudden for this substance? Is there a new test or does it suggest that a doping ring has been cracked and targetted tests carried out? Maybe someone has been distributing it under the impression it was something else?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Another nobody. Its strange how doping doesnt seem to work anymore, with everyone else being clean, it should be possible to get some results when you dope.

Frosty said:
How come there are apparently quite a few cases all of a sudden for this substance? Is there a new test or does it suggest that a doping ring has been cracked and targetted tests carried out? Maybe someone has been distributing it under the impression it was something else?

New test. More than likely it's something pretty new that's only becoming the hot thing on people's lips because of only just being discovered by a more wide audience.

If they are now testing positive for it, though, it may prove short-lived. Depends on how long it sticks around in the body for. First generation EPO still lives on with positives here and there, especially in smaller or lower budget teams and on the Continental scene, whereas darbo and CERA were rendered obsolete almost as soon as they could be tested for owing to their long half-life.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
From the structure, its not THAT difficult to synthesize.

Black market labs could make new stuff and sell it

Why black market? A chinese custom synth lab could make this pretty easily & legally (& discreetly) . I would guess it'd cost a few 1000 € per 100g (if an optimized synthetic route is available). Not so expensive, imo :D

as you can see in this OPRD paper, there is a nice optimized procedure, only a few steps, 78% total yield. IT will not be so easy to scale without adaptations because of all the chromatographic purifications I think.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jo035140g#

Hematide said:
Why black market? A chinese custom synth lab could make this pretty easily & legally (& discreetly) . I would guess it'd cost a few 1000 € per 100g (if an optimized synthetic route is available). Not so expensive, imo :D

as you can see in this OPRD paper, there is a nice optimized procedure, only a few steps, 78% total yield. IT will not be so easy to scale without adaptations because of all the chromatographic purifications I think.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jo035140g#

Getting the active ingredient is one thing.
Cleaning enough so it doesn't kill your clients is another...

78% isn't a bad yield at all for that sort of synthesis.

Thanks for the link.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Getting the active ingredient is one thing.
Cleaning enough so it doesn't kill your clients is another...

78% isn't a bad yield at all for that sort of synthesis.

Thanks for the link.
Yes, I agree, real good yield!
Also, the recent popularity of "legal highs" for human consumption synthesized in Chinese labs has shown that no so much cleaning at all is necessary for customer satisfaction :eek:
You would need some very active impurities to give immediate and noticable side-effects with a product that has a "recommended" dose of 10 mg.

If a was a really professional team or rider, I wouldn't order GW501516, but one of the analogues that doesn't have a validated test, though ;)

Catwhoorg said:
From the structure, its not THAT difficult to synthesize.

Black market labs could make new stuff and sell it

Somewhere I had a rather depressing link about nutrition companies being little more than DIY labs now. The business model works great for a while until regulators catch up to you. Then you try to strike it rich on another not-yet-regulated compound.

So, not so much a "black market" like cocaine since all of the compounds are not criminalized. More like a bunch of tiny businesses.

Based on what I've picked up in bodybuilding forums the GW-whatevers are a huge leap forward in doping.

I wonder why the Russians are being chosen this time. I don't know how it would affect any attempt at Makarov taking over the UCI. Maybe it's an IOC motivated penalty? It's probably simpler than all that though.

TRENDING THREADS