• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valjavec: hypobaric chambers in every room in my hotel

I have stayed in accomodation at altitudes far higher than 1300m, and never felt that a hypobaric chamber was a key asset in a hotel room. And he claims to be installing these as "something I’ve done against doping".

Are PEDs a major issue in hiking?

Explain, please

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
I have stayed in accomodation at altitudes far higher than 1300m, and never felt that a hypobaric chamber was a key asset in a hotel room. And he claims to be installing these as "something I’ve done against doping".

Are PEDs a major issue in hiking?

Explain, please

1300 meters isnt high enough you need a ladder or better a still hellicopter

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Stephen_M said:
Are you discussing this story?
http://www.sloveniatimes.com/en/ins...news&cid=13C09426-03B1-428E-48D0-1B4B054546FD

As I understand it (although I may well be out of date), hypobaric equipment is not banned by WADA, but is illegal in Italy as this old story highlights -
http://www.tdfblog.com/2005/06/ullrich_using_h.html#tp

No such thing as hypobaric chamber...they are hypoxic chambers, which work on a completely different principle.

Also, Italy is not allowed to limit such methods, since they must comply with the WADA Code's harmonization clause. Since when does Italy get to tell UCI registered cyclists what they can and can't do when it comes to anti-doping?

WADA needs to tell CONI to cease and desist, as does the UCI. But McQuaid is too corrupt (and stupid) to do anything.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
No such thing as hypobaric chamber...they are hypoxic chambers, which work on a completely different principle.

Also, Italy is not allowed to limit such methods, since they must comply with the WADA Code's harmonization clause. Since when does Italy get to tell UCI registered cyclists what they can and can't do when it comes to anti-doping?

WADA needs to tell CONI to cease and desist, as does the UCI. But McQuaid is too corrupt (and stupid) to do anything.

Err, I'm more than slightly confident that hypobaric chambers do exist - no only do they operate on the basis of hypoxia (ie the low oxygen content that you refer to), but also on a lower ambient air pressure. Or, maybe you're correct and the US Military (amongst many others) have been getting it woefully wrong all these years?

Err, not sure I understand your other point at all? WADA/UCI etc set a bunch of rules for sport, the Italians govern their own country will a whole bunch of laws (one of which seems to include the use things such as altitude tents/hypobaric chambers in a sporting capacity). I'm not sure what sort of jurisdiction WADA would have over the Italian Parliament??

TERMINATOR said:

Are you trying to split hair? Is Split is Valjavec's country, think not, must be in Croatia.

Anyway you can reduce the available oxygen by reducing the pressure, which admittedly is technically difficult, or by increasing the %age of nitrogen in the air, ie displacing the oxygen.

If you reduce the pressure without changing the 79/21 proportions of normal air for nitrogen/oxygen, you have a truly hypobaric chamber. Presumably you could do it on the same principle as the Gamow hyperbaric chambers without escalating towards horrendous costs.

If you reduce the proportion of oxygen in the air, you have a hypoxic chamber/tent, which is obviously less oppressive (than a Gamow chamber) and technically easier to construct, hence cheaper.

The latter technical solution is presumably what people slightly improperly call hypobaric chambers/tents. When I read hypobaric in this context, I understand hypobaric equivalent

Stephen_M said:
Err, I'm more than slightly confident that hypobaric chambers do exist - no only do they operate on the basis of hypoxia (ie the low oxygen content that you refer to), but also on a lower ambient air pressure. ...........

I even believe there are some places for athletes where entire floors are put at a lower pressure than outside pressure. Didn't East-Germany have such facilities?

I'm utterly convinced that the confusion over the two words is impenetrable proof that all riders dope all the time, especially in his hotel which is most certainly actually placed in the Canaries next to a gyropractic clinic, but hidden away from the view of the UCI and the media... Case closed - ban them all for two years to life!

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
UCI law and WADA law mean Jack **** when it comes to Criminal law, the Italians Government can ban whatever they like & they aint gona listen to UCI/WADA...just like the riders dont :D

JPM London said:
I'm utterly convinced that the confusion over the two words is impenetrable proof that all riders dope all the time, especially in his hotel which is most certainly actually placed in the Canaries next to a gyropractic clinic, but hidden away from the view of the UCI and the media... Case closed - ban them all for two years to life!

WOW, that's some potent stuff you are on!!!
Too much oxygen maybe?