• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

VDB One Year Later

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Sad to remember he is gone. But its nice to think some young rider might come along and regenerate the spirit he showed as a cyclist. He was totally irrepressable as a rider and a personality, and very gentle-natured towards his fans and fellow-riders as well. A brilliant example for anyone who wants to admire a cyclist for their merits.

actu-sports-frank-vandenbroucke.jpg

frankvclass.jpg

000_app1999092431772_600.jpg

And a video for those who are interested where he phones Michele Bartoli during Liege Bastogne Liege.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5_oZgHOHX8&feature=related

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Just imagine what could have been if he had a stronger personality.
Greatest talent since Hinault.

I still watch the '99 races every now and then.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He's the opposite of Gilbert.

VDB:

Amazing talent
Didn't put enough effort in training.
Weak personality, kinda like Pantani, but to a lesser extent as he seemed happy at the end of his life.
Was cocky, although in a good way.

Gilbert:

Has talent, but not nearly as much as VDB
Works extremely hard.
Strong personality.
Is not really cocky. At least not openly.

But they also show a lot of similarities in racing style.

Both shined in the Vuelta, both won a similar big classic with lots of power(although much more power from VDB, his win was one of the best ever in LBL)

RIP

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Black-Balled said:
Well...
I don't want to enter the Clinic, but:
Likelyhood of VDB being 'clean'< Likelyhood of Gilbert being 'clean'.

EYE EMM OHH

In an era where all the competitors were juiced he made it look like he was the only one.

Are we going to be able to keep this thread clean or should we move it into the clinic? I'm easy either way. I will delete the doping related posts...but I think if it drfits that way can someone let me know and i'll port the thing over to the Clinic. (just hit the warning flag)

I don't think we need to be heavy handed we'll just do what makes most sense - no infractions or anything.

Cheers

Terry
Admin

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
vdb's story of the vuelta 99 indeed is worth a movie on itself. it's about love, passion and success and an almost undescribably gifted person.