• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

VDO Z1 altimeter/power computer

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone had experience with the Z-series computers from this German company?

I'm looking at a comp for a new MTB. Most important info for me besides the usual function is altitude and gradient.

These models have an algorithim based on cadence, speed and gradient for measuring power. Interesting, expect it will only ballpark in that area.

You can wear these things like a watch and it has a hiking mode - another thing I like.

Not particularly interested in HR or Garmin. Already have a low-model Polar for this.

5019241t_v1_m56577569830999086.jpg

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't have experience with this particular model, but I can tell you that everyone who has purchased a VDO computer at the shop where I work has complained about how difficult they are to use. If you are good with computers/are tech savvy, then its a good, reliable brand, it's just that they tend to lack in the user-friendliness category.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the Z1 model with the altimeter. It is a great device. Once you use it all the controls and buttons make sense. It gives you an amazing amount of information and can be mounted to the bars or on the wrist.

However, I am taking mine back for a refund. Whenever you have not used it for a specific period of minutes, you have to 'pair' it with the fork-mounted sending unit. This is a process of synchronizing signals. This is when you begin to encounter difficulty. If you cannot get the unit 'paired' with the sending unit, you have a very expensive watch. My experience with the 'paring' process is highly frustrating and I am happy I bought it at REI, who will gladly refund my total purchase.

steve
st paul, mn

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, fellahs.

I've just ordered a cateye adventure instead. I've had a VDO comp in the past and wasn't terribly impressed with it. The Z1 uses the same sensor, too, and I had lots of issues with mine.

Next up, when the bugs have been fully worked out, I'll go garmin or even bryton.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
Thanks for your replies, fellahs.

I've just ordered a cateye adventure instead. I've had a VDO comp in the past and wasn't terribly impressed with it. The Z1 uses the same sensor, too, and I had lots of issues with mine.

Next up, when the bugs have been fully worked out, I'll go garmin or even bryton.

I've been using a Cateye Adventure for over a year now and I'm still impressed by the accuracy of the altimeter. The controls are a little confusing, especially when trying to make a single adjustment amidst the array of other settings, but I'm still happy with it.