• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Velo d'Or Predictions

Velo d'Or

• Damiano Cunego

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Considering the award usual goes to a rider with a grand tour, couple of monuments, world championship to his name, who do we think will get it this year??

I included 9 of the top 10 world ranked riders (replaced allan davis with fabian cancellara) in the poll. Probably should have put menchov in there, but can't change now!

I vote, Cadel, showing my aussie bias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9lo_d%27Or

EDIT:::: It's interesting that most people in the poll have ONE major win (monument, GT or WC medal) with smaller wins to follow. No-one has swept the result table, so to speak.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Contador won a few stage races, spanish itt champion and the tour... hard to beat.
Ebh had a good season, lot of wins, as well as a classic.
And the other one who could win imo is Andy Schleck... Tour 2nd place. LBL winner, and basically the winner at F-W (considering rebellion's status atm) and national champion
Oh and of course cav deserves a mention, great dominance over the season, won a classic... losing the green doesn't help his chances though.

as for evans, I'd say the WC pretty much saved an other wise dissapointing season for his standards, so I don't believe he will win that.

Also an impressive return basso. 4th in two GTS.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Tough one. Contador got the TdF, but not all that much else. Evans got Worlds and nothing else. Cav mostly just has stage wins, Schleck's got a few high GC placings and a classic, but I really don't know if anyone stands out in particular. Personally I hope Cancellara gets it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
consider this folks

it’s awarded by the french cycling magazine and historically most recipients won the tour de france that year.

conti won the french tour and conti won a boatload more. and he looked bloody impressive in anything he raced this year. no doubt he is gonna get it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
danyela said:
Tough one. Contador got the TdF, but not all that much else. Evans got Worlds and nothing else. Cav mostly just has stage wins, Schleck's got a few high GC placings and a classic, but I really don't know if anyone stands out in particular. Personally I hope Cancellara gets it.

lol.

1st Tour (x2 stage wins)
1st Vuelta al País Vasco
1st Spanish National Time Trial Championships
1st Volta ao Algarve
2nd Castilla y León
3rd Dauphiné Libéré
4th Paris-Nice (x2 stage wins)

indeed he was a one show pony ;)
easily the most consistant rider in stage races...

I was thinking of starting this thread earlier this morning.

Conti
Cav
Cancellara
Schleck

All the other contenders to beat AC had good but not amazing seasons that you need to beat the tour winner. If say, Cancellara had won a classic, or Evans had podium at the tour then maybe one of those may have taken it. Milan-San Remo and the sheer number of stage wins Cav got may be enough but I doubt it.

I'm going for the Cs, and by that i don't mean Cadel ;)

Gold: Cavendish. Milan-Sanremo, 6 stages in the tour, 4 in the Giro (i think) plus additional stage wins in California, Tirreno and Tour of Switzerland. Consistently excellent.

Silver: Contador; Le Tour and the coolest named race of the year: the Euskal Herriko txirrindulari itzulia. Plus good results in Paris-Nice, Dauphine and Castilla & Leon. While dominant in Le Tour he was slightly less so in the lesser races, while Cav still performed brilliantly everywhere, even if it wasn't a tour stage.

Bronze: Fabian Cancellara. World Champion, stage in the tour, two in the Vuelta, Tour of Switzerland. 'Nuff said. He just edges out Cadel and A.Schleck.

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
Contador got it the last 2 times, Cav said something about 'f-cking frenchies' so it might just be Cancellara.

I'd vote for Cav, but I think Contador will get it. Funny ak about the "Frenchie" comment he made, because I am with you on it making him getting the honor HIGHLY unlikely.

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Cav did have an amazing record this year, I think he won a stage in every

race he was in this year. But how much was him and how much was the

unstoppable Colombia leadout train? Will this hurt him, will the fact that he is

english and also on an american team hurt him? Conti will probably take it,

but I think even though Fabian has one he deserves a look. Destroying the

field in ever tt and prologe aint easy, expecially at the WC. Plus he showed

huge balls in the WC road race

TRENDING THREADS