• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Victor Conte

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Marginal Gains said:
This is from a week or two back but I haven't seen it mentioned. 3 hour interview with Victor Conte. A lot of it is about Balco and his time in jail, Novitsky gets a mention. Talks about Flo Jo at 2h 37m and Jamaicans at 2h 43m which are interesting. Lance at 2h 40m but nothing new

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azzhD2QJ8B0

Describes track and field as totally infested
someone took my advice and reserved this handle

chapeau my friend.

just tell Brailsford this is your turf on the Clinic subforum

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Either Conte knows way more about blood doping than has even come out from the USADA investigation, of he's just doing guesswork. Not really his forte of course, he like roids and hormones more.
BigBoat?

Come on Cloxxki, I'm listening to this, and most of it I know, which is not much, I dont know much, but Conte is talking a massive florid game of rhetoric. I reckon it is about 15% truth.

Sounds like Conte doing our impression of BigBoat

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Listened to the whole thing and I reckon its probably worth a listen. While I always find Victor Conte entertaining he is a bit like the used car salesman of the steroids world, so I take it all with a grain of salt. Though he does appear to know his stuff.

What I found the most interesting was his assertion that test would actually somewhat increase a subject's hematocrit levels without the use of EPO. Does anyone know if this is total garbage or if there are papers on the matter?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
some stuff he knew, some stuff he went the Bigboat route.

Testo can increase hematocrit. Might be part of reason Zabel can win Amstel Gold in the middle of the EPO era. Or Zabel was getting other o2 assistance somehow. Cos "supposedly" <skepticism> Ete never took epo after first trying it, because it did not make his system feel well.

The stuff on bodybuilders coming in with mid 50 'crits, Riis numbers, that would suggest there might be more heart attacks in that spere. But, in the response, bodybuilders grow larger veins and arteries, and enargd hearts and aorta to pump the blood when they are lifting. So, their arteries are less likely to clog up.

But I still think that from Conte is BS.

Joe Rogan was impressive when he pressed Conte on hgh, that if it is a great recovery drug, ergo, aids performance.

other stuff, extraordinarily ignorant. Rogan is on roids or testo and hgh himself. His head is bubble head size. BJ Penn has a massive Noggin too. Salient qualifier, larger. Larger head than a decade back before his big time PED program. The MMA fighters, 99.5% and boxers, same, would be on gear. Both these guys would know this.

He's parleyed his way through life from a walking fish to a snake oil salesman.
he has no medical training whatsoever and his doping methods were amateur, reliant more on hit and miss than science. He tried the stuff himself then passed it on to others if it didn't give him a heart attack. He's contributed nothing to anti-doping and kept his secrets secret.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
zebedee said:
He's parleyed his way through life from a walking fish to a snake oil salesman.
he has no medical training whatsoever and his doping methods were amateur, reliant more on hit and miss than science. He tried the stuff himself then passed it on to others if it didn't give him a heart attack. He's contributed nothing to anti-doping and kept his secrets secret.

You don't need medical training. Anyone with time and energy can read and gather the information. Hackers learn by hacking. Doping doctors learn by doping. There isn't a school you go to to learn this stuff.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Zweistein said:
You don't need medical training. Anyone with time and energy can read and gather the information. Hackers learn by hacking. Doping doctors learn by doping. There isn't a school you go to to learn this stuff.

Hit and miss sounds exactly like scientific research to me :D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
zebedee said:
And your point about Conte is?

He's a racconteur, a bar prop. There's zillions like him. They just keep their mouths shut.

Yeah, because there are a million guys with Marion Jones and Barry Bonds on their client list.

You can argue any half-respectable gym rat steroid peddler does scientific research on that basis.

Conte is a salesman who got lucky when he started supplying a few american footballers with steroids, and took it from there. Evidently a quick learner.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
So all the riders pre-EPO era that tested for > 50% Hct, leading to much wailing and gnashing of teeth by national cycling federations at the unfairness of it all could actually have been resulting from the increase in Hct due to testosterone use...

right?

RIGHT!?

From Wiki: Anabolic steroids were first isolated, identified, and synthesized in the 1930s

HgH does the same thing. Good grief.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:

Agreed, I'm pretty confident that most of the stuff Ferrari recommends, is based off trial and error as well as an understanding of drug/hormone pathways.

There's no way these guys can base all of their methods off peer reviewed research articles as these wouldn't get through an ethics commission.

I think Ferrari is a notch above Conte as a nefarious Doctor but I don't think of Conte as a roided up meathead.