• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vittoria Dimante Pro's - problems?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Hey All,

Wondering if anyone else has had any issues with Vittoria Dimante Pro's.

I had a set that had done barely 400km when the rear tyre 'slashed' at the point where the side wall joins up with the thread on the top of the tyre.
The slash is not all the way through, rather it's lifted leaving a flap and excess material over the cross section of the tyre causing a buldge.

I've lost confidence in the tyre and therefore are having them replaced.

Has anyone else had similar experience? It was annoying because it happened at 630am and pinched my tube giving me a flat....

thanks!

Conti 4000S

mherm,

Sorry, I can't weigh in on the Vittorias but I can recommend the Continental 4000S. Both my wife and I ride them and haven't experienced a puncture in thousands of miles. They are relatively light and responsive.

Now I'll probably flat this afternoon far from home...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If this has happened only once, it could just be bad luck. Call it Murphy's law, but whenever I buy a new set of tires, it seems like there is a piece of glass just lurking out there, waiting to put a nice nick in it.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc,

my LBS also reccommended the continental 4000S - do you use these for commuting?

I've had continental GP4000 previously and found they wear very quickly.

mherm,

No commuting, just general riding on reasonably good roads.

The current model 4000S with "Black Chili" compound seems to wear better than the previous 4000 model. I get around 1600-1800 miles on the back tire and twice that much on the front.

As I said, the puncture resistance is very good in my experience (as long as you avoid as much road debris as you can).

Probikekit.com has been my source for the last couple of years. You can get them on sale often for ~$30 or so each.

I've been happy with them on 5 separate bikes and stock up every time pbk has a sale. Give 'em a try and let us know what you think...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have recently recieved my first pair of GP4000s's and they are great! They corner well, they're good in the rain and they have a relatively low rolling resistance.

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Vittoria Diamante Pro Tires

I am having the same problem with my Vittoria Diamante Pro's. Just got a new Cervelo RS and it came equipped with them. In 100 miles I have had 2 flats. Flats have occurred on clean road surfaces. Any suggestions on a more durable every day tire to use?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I agree with many of the other respondents. I flatted SO many times with my Vittorias - it felt like every time I went out for a ride that I would get a flat. I have not had a single flat since changing to Continental 4000S late last year, including 4000 km, rough roads, and through post-snow debris and gravel. They roll well and are good in all types of weather. They are a little heavier than most Vittorias and they also tend to wear on the apex so don't expect much more than 6000-8000 km out of them. But they are good and it is nice to enjoy riding rather than continually repairing flats.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
It was a once off, throw away tire problem. The rip on the side of the tire has weakened that section and I'm not comfortable riding on it.

I've contacted Vittoria, who directed me to their local rep. I'm dropping the tire in today and have asked for a replacement - see what happens.

In the mean time I've just recieved a pair of 4000S and can't wait to fit them this weekend!

elapid - do you rotate your tires often?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Maybe you got a defective tire, try to get it replaced from where ever you bought it. If they don't replace it then contact Vittoria directly, I've had tires replaced direct when the local shop didn't (never went back there). This is assuming your tire is truly defective, if you ran over something to cut it well that is not the tires fault.

Like many posts before I've switched to Conti 4K's as well, mainly because I just wanted to try them out, nothing against the Vittoria's they're super supple and good tires on average.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Maybe you got a defective tire, try to get it replaced from where ever you bought it. If they don't replace it then contact Vittoria

Vittoria local rep said to take it back to the LBS (came on a new bike) and have them forward it back to the rep, which i'm doing tonight.

ElChingon said:
This is assuming your tire is truly defective, if you ran over something to cut it well that is not the tires fault.
blow out is on the side wall when riding on flat, smooth, clean road. no glass or evidence of any object to cause the flat.

i'll post up vittoria's reply when i eventually get it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Diamante Pros - worst tyre I've ever used. Had to walk in cleats for over an hour last week when my last one was finally destroyed (after about 400k!) on the way to work last week. I used to ride Conti 4-season, Gatorskin, 3000 and 4000 and was never happy with the grip on cornering (compared with Michelin Pro Race 2) until I tried the 4000S recently. So far they're my fav and seem very durable.

FYI - The diamante pros came with my Cervelo too but 25 wide which actually rubbed on the inside of the forks! Therefore had to be removed straight away.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
elapid - do you rotate your tires often?
No, I actually don't rotate them too often. I live in Canada, so I usually only rotate at the start and end of the season. Over winter, the bike is on a trainer with the Continental trainer tire. At the start of the season, if the tires are not worn on the apex, then I will rotate them. Should I be rotating the front and rear tires more frequently and does this decrease wear on the tires?

elapid said:
No, I actually don't rotate them too often. I live in Canada, so I usually only rotate at the start and end of the season. Over winter, the bike is on a trainer with the Continental trainer tire. At the start of the season, if the tires are not worn on the apex, then I will rotate them. Should I be rotating the front and rear tires more frequently and does this decrease wear on the tires?

I never rotate tires. When the rear one wears out, I put the front on the back and a new tire on the front. I always want the least worn tire on the front.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I never rotate tires. When the rear one wears out, I put the front on the back and a new tire on the front. I always want the least worn tire on the front.

That's what Sheldon Brown advises as well ;)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Got a replacement tire

mherm79 said:
I've contacted Vittoria, who directed me to their local rep. I'm dropping the tire in today and have asked for a replacement - see what happens.

Hey all, thought I'd let you know that the Vittoria rep replaced the tyre with a new Dimante Pro. No explanation of the fault though.

I'll be keeping these for the commute bike.

Interesting. I was considering going up in TPI from rubino pros to the diamante's on the assumption that the higher TPI rating would improve puncture resistance...

I've used rubino pros on my commuter for the past two years and despite all the usual cuts from the streets of london they hold up well, with only a few obvious punctures from glass shards.
I have conti's on my main road bike (ultra 2000), and have had three flats in the last two weeks alone - all from tiny little shards and not the big ones that the vittoria's succumbed to. Have grabbed an ultra sport and a gatorskin to see which lasts longer as I want something that is punture resistant and long lasting. I was under the impression that GP4000s were for racing and didn't last that long...

Latest posts