• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volcano of PEDs?

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
With European travel in the chaotic state that it is will random drug tests be as reliable? We have seen how hard it is for the athletes to get around. It isn't any easier for those responsible for testing. Just an idea? Any one agree or disagree?

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
mightymac12 said:
With European travel in the chaotic state that it is will random drug tests be as reliable? We have seen how hard it is for the athletes to get around. It isn't any easier for those responsible for testing. Just an idea? Any one agree or disagree?

I think you might be right. It must be harder for the testers to fly around to get people. Everyone who is still in Europe must be using this opportunity to get doped up to the eyeballs.

Armstrong must be kicking himself.

When someone gets tested in Aus or North Am. do you think the testers fly in from Europe? I know that isn't the case...and I don't imagine they're flying around Europe to do dope testing. They would use their officials in that country. Now, in favour of your argument they might have trouble shipping them to labs, depending on where the sample was taken.

mightymac12 said:

That's what I was thinking. I heard they rely on some officials in the Countries where they have residence.

In Colombia they could use somebody from the "Federacion de Ciclismo". They always have to rely on somebody else otherwise would be near impossible to test the riders.

I'm not sure the federations use local testers. It's at least rumoured that Michael Rasmussen said he was in Mexico because he knew they'd be less likely to travel there than Italy. Also isn't there something about it being only the riders national federation that has the right to test or something?

The fact that the taken sample would also be stuck in traffic (as someone above suggested) shouldn't be too big a problem. I guess the result would just be in a little later.

In the end I don't think dopers see this as a chance to go overboard. As I understand it they are on specific programs in the first place, which they have to follow, so it wouldn't make too much sense, would it?

The problem might more likely be getting hold of the stuff at the moment! Hell, maybe the prices are on the up right now because of it, just like with hotel rooms...

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
I think you might be right. It must be harder for the testers to fly around to get people. Everyone who is still in Europe must be using this opportunity to get doped up to the eyeballs.

Armstrong must be kicking himself.

What jealous haters you are. Yeah, hes really kicking himself, shame he hasn't kicked himself ever in the past, but there you go.

You guys are funny to me.