• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 16: Gijón > Cuitu Nigru (183,5 kms)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, but Contador will have the final laugh at the WC when he totally screws over the Spanish. ;)

He should **** them off even worse than Michele Bartoli did with Paolo Bettini. Too bad Contador is too kind for that. His attacking style reminds me of Eddy Merckx, but Eddy Merckx would have taken his revenge like he did with Freddy Maertens at the WC in 1974. Although that's not a very legal way to deal with things. :eek:

That would be so awesome :D but yeah he won't do it he's too nice :rolleyes:

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Jelantik said:
is it just me, or it looked like valverde sorta gank up with purito to get ride off contador on the last climb? Plus purito comment yesterday to valverde before the start: "let's get some win today" Hm… you and moi? like in the first week?? b/c Valverde has been the one that campaigning to say contador is nervous, contador is attacking at the wrong place etc. etc. Wonder if he doesn't want contador to win GT right after a ban. Otherwise, that would be spectacular!! If, it took him all year long to get his rhythm back, maybe he is hoping that AC should pay his due first…

Now that you mention it I do remember reading some where that Purito had said to Valverde about having him as an ally to help him (Purito) win the Vuelta since Valverde had already won a GT and Contador had won too many that he (Contador) can't even count them - or something like that - which makes sense to your observations :eek:

But of course I could be wrong :eek:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
It's almost winter, so now cyclist are resting. So I was remembering one of the best stages of the year.

It was fun to read again the comments about this stage on this post, people thought the Vuelta was decided after a lot of up-hill finishes and three big moutains with crazy mountains.

You can watch 20 minutes here of the last one of the "trípitico", Gijón-Cuitu Negru:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/ascension-integra-cuitu-negro/1519550/

After that, an "easy" stage was going to change the point of view of everyone:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18446

And the the "Bola del Mundo" almost change the opinion of everyone again with the last attempt from Putiro. :p

TRENDING THREADS