• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta - Grand Tour debuts

With all the excitement at the top end of the GC, I haven't really been looking out to see how young riders in their first Grand Tour have done.

Because of Nicolas Roche's Vuelta diaries, the only one I've really been aware of has been Biel Kadri of Ag2r. He's had a very good first run out - he was in the breakaway on four or five days, and he seemed to be the last Ag2r rider helping Roche out on most of the mountain stages. He finished well down in the GC, in 81st, but that's hardly a surprise when he was looking to get into the break or burying himself for Roche on pretty much every important day. He was certainly the second most prominent member of his team.

If he improves a little more, Ag2r may have found a chief mountain lieutenant for Roche for the next couple of years, and with a bit more experience who knows how far he could go?

So well done, Biel. However, I'm curious about the other debut riders. Who else have people been keeping an eye on? Who has shown promise?

issoisso said:
Without wanting to be a jerk, just to clear up a fairly common misconception:

BLEL, not BIEL.

Really? Holy ****, I've had his name wrong from the first day of the Vuelta. I'm completely certain that I heard the commentators call him that too.

And no, you aren't being a jerk. I'd rather be told now than continue to use the wrong name.

issoisso said:
Without wanting to be a jerk, just to clear up a fairly common misconception:

BLEL, not BIEL.

Nick Roche's column consistently has Biel, as does CN and lavuelta.com

The AG2R website has Blel, as do the UCI, CQ, cyclingarchives.

Balance of evidence seems to be in favour of an L, but enough contrary sources to make it an error that does not seem to show culpable ignorance.

The "misspelling" in Roche's newspaper column seems most odd: he presumably speaks to him most days (if only to advise against shopping trips).

Lack of team spirit, use of a friendly version of the name, or an editor misreading the font on Nick's e-mails?

Armchair cyclist said:
Nick Roche's column consistently has Biel, as does CN and lavuelta.com

The AG2R website has Blel, as do the UCI, CQ, cyclingarchives.

Balance of evidence seems to be in favour of an L, but enough contrary sources to make it an error that does not seem to show culpable ignorance.

The "misspelling" in Roche's newspaper column seems most odd: he presumably speaks to him most days (if only to advise against shopping trips).

Lack of team spirit, use of a friendly version of the name, or an editor misreading the font on Nick's e-mails?
Roche's diaries also had "Jose Luis Arteta" once.

TRENDING THREADS