• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Was Sean Yates drunk on Eurosport ?

Did anyone think Sean Yates was slurring his speech on the Pre-World Road race studio banter on Saturday,....before the womens race. ??

He was slouched / hanging off his chair and he couldnt string a sentence together...it was odd.

Cycle Chic said:
Did anyone think Sean Yates was slurring his speech on the Pre-World Road race studio banter on Saturday,....before the womens race. ??

He was slouched / hanging off his chair and he couldnt string a sentence together...it was odd.

Sean Yates has a very bad heart condition which causes him to loose his speech at times. He can no longer ride his bike. Which upsets him greatly.

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Its very sad. I read in a cycling magazine, a letter written in from some guys that ride with him. He had a stroke in the summer, which was related to his heart condition, i hope he gets better, he's a great guy. He did our cycling clubs prize presentation a number of years back. All the best Sean, if you read this.

cydonian said:
Its very sad. I read in a cycling magazine, a letter written in from some guys that ride with him. He had a stroke in the summer, which was related to his heart condition, i hope he gets better, he's a great guy. He did our cycling clubs prize presentation a number of years back. All the best Sean, if you read this.

He relates the heart condition to the drug use in the 80/90's peleton.

A

Anonymous

Barnaby said:
Answer please?

i have googled fairly extensively and can find nothing, ive also done searches on seans diary on all entries involving his heart and can find nothing there either...

a wasted hour, or not...

dimspace said:
i have googled fairly extensively and can find nothing, ive also done searches on seans diary on all entries involving his heart and can find nothing there either...

a wasted hour, or not...

Not time wasted - thanks for checking this out - and dispelling a FBDP (fat bloke down the pub) said it so it must be true!

All the best to Sean.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Not time wasted - thanks for checking this out - and dispelling a FBDP (fat bloke down the pub) said it so it must be true!

All the best to Sean.

+1 .... Thanks Dim.

I too started checking in on the story.

He has had a heart condition since 2003.
He was taken to hospital in June of this year with dizzy spells - I believe that is where the rumour that he had a stroke circulated from.

I have found nothing to back up any claim that he had suffered a stroke.

Barnaby said:
Answer please?

Colin Sturgess. He will tell exactly what Sean Yates was up to. Sean was an old school drug user. He was the Doctor for the young English boys in the peleton. With help from the Belgium’s they popped more gear than the lead singer of Depeche Mode.

Go search Colin's details on the net.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Go search Colin's details on the net.

I have searched and found nothing- even if I found something by Colin it does not back up your earlier assertion that he had a stroke and that his heart conditions were the result of PED abuse.

If you have information that backs up either of your claims then you should present it - and if it there is anything about PED's it should be presented in the Clinic.

As I said earlier - I have been not been able to find anything that says he suffered a stroke.

Colin Sturgess rode with Tulip, same team as Joe Parkin of 'A Dog in a hat' fame and we know what went on there.

Also Paul Kimmage alluded to Yates showing him how to first use a needle in 'A Rough ride' so not exactly shocking if what the Hog is saying regarding doping is true.

However, it is unfair to make the automatic connection between doping and Yates condition which is indeed very sad. Some real evidence is required before jumping to such conclusions.

Yates always seemed such a tough guy, a real hard man. He was one of the riders I always liked when I first started following cycling. Good luck to him.