• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Happy New Year All,,

I have a serious although not life-threatening problem...WASPS..

Everytime I clean my bike ready for the next day's ride i.e tomorrow...I go through a normal routine, wipe the bike over, spray the whole thing ( including the chain, but excluding the rims and brakes) with PLEDGE furniture polish,

A problem has arose in that the moment I put the can of PLEDGE down, wasps start to appear from miles around.This started last Summer and here it is January ( although still 69-75 F here in Arizona ),,,anyway, does this happen to anyone else.

Is it because my bike frame is Red?, Is it the interaction between the PLEDGE and the Campagnolo Carbon stuff, should I switch to Shimano ( in which case I would quit riding), or should I hire someone to stand behind with a fly swatter.

Sorry if this problem is about O on the scale of things...but it bothers me.

Thank you for reading and looking forward to a solution.....COLIN LAING

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
COLIN LAING said:
Happy New Year All,,

Everytime I clean my bike ready for the next day's ride i.e tomorrow...I go through a normal routine, wipe the bike over, spray the whole thing ( including the chain, but excluding the rims and brakes) with PLEDGE furniture polish,

A problem has arose in that the moment I put the can of PLEDGE down, wasps start to appear from miles around.This started last Summer and here it is January ( although still 69-75 F here in Arizona ),,,anyway, does this happen to anyone else.

Is it because my bike frame is Red?, Is it the interaction between the PLEDGE and the Campagnolo Carbon stuff, should I switch to Shimano ( in which case I would quit riding), or should I hire someone to stand behind with a fly swatter.

The solution is very simple: you need to sell your bike, sell your house, leave your wife and kids (if you have them--if not, all the better), leave Arizona, change your name, find a new identity, a new job, and a new sport.
Then the wasps won't find you.

Or you could just stop pouring Pledge on your bike.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I have found pledge excellent for bike cleaning. are you using Lemon Pledge perhaps the the lemon scent could be attractive. If not switch to lemon pledge and it may repel them. I know citronella candles work for some insects

A

Anonymous

COLIN LAING said:
Happy New Year All,,

I used to have a red t-shirt which attracted bees, wasps and hornets. Maybe that's it. You could put out a wasp/ hornet trap, the soda bottle- Mountain Dew kind. They might go there instead of your bike.... OR you could move to Wisconsin where its -7F / -22C now and not a single bug in sight. There aren't any people outside either but...

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Like the matadors cape is to the bull --- you need to move out of the way my good man....ride faster, then the wasps won't catch you.
I thought you were afraid of white anglo-saxon protestants for a second, and my thought was: if they are chasing you around you might as well just switch sports...nothing you can do to escape those waspy drivers.

Latest posts