• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Watching Tour of Britain, Wales

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
My family will be in Wales in time for stage 2 or 3 of the Tour of Britain. Any advice about watching on The Tumble? We are not from the UK, so do not know the area. As well, how early to arrive for a good spot? And where would be a prime location to watch?

will you have a car? if so you can probably drive up from the south side (Blaenavon) or on one of the small roads that also go up to the summit. you will probably be able to park somewhere along the roadside. if you dont have a car you can walk up from Blaenavon (prob take about half an hour) or probably get a bus up from Abergavenny. I dont know when they will close the road the race will take up to the summit, but probably best to be in abergavenny a couple of hours before the stage finish if you plan to go up from there by public transport. of course the best way to get to the top is to ride yr bicycle up the road the race will go - it is usually open until maybe half an hour or so before the race arrives and you can enjoy the atmosphere and pretend you are a top rider as you slog your way up!!

it is just open moorland on top so you will easily find yourself a decent spot to watch from

willbick said:
will you have a car? if so you can probably drive up from the south side (Blaenavon) or on one of the small roads that also go up to the summit. you will probably be able to park somewhere along the roadside. if you dont have a car you can walk up from Blaenavon (prob take about half an hour) or probably get a bus up from Abergavenny. I dont know when they will close the road the race will take up to the summit, but probably best to be in abergavenny a couple of hours before the stage finish if you plan to go up from there by public transport. of course the best way to get to the top is to ride yr bicycle up the road the race will go - it is usually open until maybe half an hour or so before the race arrives and you can enjoy the atmosphere and pretend you are a top rider as you slog your way up!!

it is just open moorland on top so you will easily find yourself a decent spot to watch from

This. There are a few small lanes near the Keepers ponds at the top so should be ok to park up. The steeper bits of the climb are further down, especially in the trees and just before the cattle grid and the pub. After that the gradient eases up but it gets very exposed to the prevailing wind, so if it's windy it could get good there. It's the Tour of Britain not the TdF; my experience is an hour before hand is loads of time and quite long enough to be standing around waiting!

While you're up there, Blaenavon iron works is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, so go see the Big Pit mining museum if you get time, and the Blaenavon&Pontypool heritage railway. Both just over the top of the climb.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Tour of Britain is fantastic for the spectators. Last year watched the Llanberis stage as me and the dog (not the missus) are mountain goats in Snowdonia.

Was screaming for Dan Martin when he attacked as if I was on the Tourmalet and We hadn't even had a drink!

Nonetheless I think I would also like to thank Willbick for a great, helpfull post.

Well done mate, what a rich forum this is! :D

. . . And VO2 Max

Oct 15, 2014
vbet79.net
You visit majestic castle ruins, golden sandy beaches, ancient Roman forts, lush green hilltops, glacial-shaped valleys, rugged mountains and even the depths of a famous Welsh coal mine whilst enjoying Welsh music and Welsh Cakes along the way - whatever the weather! :)

TRENDING THREADS