• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What about TDF Stage 16 and 17

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Publicus said:
Where do you get this stuff? AC is a better descender and a better overall bike handler than Andy.

Contador is not a better descender than Andy imo. On the chaingate stage he didn't take any time off Andy as far as I remember (or only a handful of seconds anyway), although he had some people with him there while Andy was alone.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:
Contador is not a better descender than Andy imo. On the chaingate stage he didn't take any time off Andy as far as I remember (or only a handful of seconds anyway), although he had some people with him there while Andy was alone.

Contador wheelsucked Sammy all the way on the descent IIRC. If anything its Sammy's fault not taking any time on Schlecks. :p

spalco said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6XajVh7Qg (around 3.00)
Andy wasn't alone, he was with VDB all the time, and at the top of the climb, Contador was 4.11 behind the break, Andy 4.28 , a difference of 17 seconds. At the finish Andy was 39 seconds behind, and thus lost 22 seconds on the descent.

If Contador could gain some time on the ascent, say 5 to 10 seconds, he could build out that lead on the descent. I don't think it's likely, but he is capable of doing it.

Publicus said:
Where do you get this stuff? AC is a better descender and a better overall bike handler than Andy.

I'd say he is better than mediocre. And probably better than Andy.

If it's raining/wet or if there are any crashes on the descents does anybody want to say what the odds are that Reotard Trek will neutralize? I would venture more likely than the opposing teams.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ggusta said:
I'd say he is better than mediocre. And probably better than Andy.

If it's raining/wet or if there are any crashes on the descents does anybody want to say what the odds are that Reotard Trek will neutralize? I would venture more likely than the opposing teams.

Contador is an average decender, but somewhat better than Andy and definately better than Frank.

stage 16 a break away will win, can't see a HTC chaseing unless goss has the legs which i'm guessing he won't,that leaves lotto an they won't bother,

stage 17 the same thing can't see the big boys going hell for leather so might see two break away wins in a row

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Same finish as 2003 where Vino gained about 30 seconds? chance to open a gap for sure. Though many may have been spooked watching beloki go down.

I think 16 will be contested by a large breakaway Expect the French teams to gun for it. Gilbert could try get in it. If some teams want a sprint it will be Movistar and Garmin.

Stage 17 will be more exciting if the candinates race FTW. I think Gerrans/ Casar will win