• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What are you afraid of??

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I am a afraid of sharks, I was swimming off of the pier in Kona and noticed I was swimming with a shark. It was not concerned about me but it made an impact on me.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Heights for me as well, I think. I like climbing and bouldering. I didn't mind bungy jumping (once I had actually jumped) and don't mind parachuting. Its the heights in between 40m and 3000m that I am most scared of, if that makes sense.

Also scared of failure. Silly, ain't it!

But I like sharks, snakes and spiders, if that makes up for the rest of my fears.:)

A

Anonymous

Clowns.

stephenkingsitdesktopwallpaper001.jpg

Miniature Horses and Spider Monkeys.

GRIT-JULAUG09-ardea_minihorsepasture_jd-3883.jpg

black-spider-monkey.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Having once attended a school for circus arts, I have a situation dependent fear of heights. On static, swinging, and double trapeze apparatus I had no fear. But climbing that ladder to the top of the trapeze always freaked me out--there's only a net on the other side of the ladder. Tall buildings, flying, bridges don't bother me in the least as I'm enclosed in a structure of some sort.

I'm also not a fan of fearful crowds. That mentality is like getting swept away by a rogue wave.

Oh. Not afraid of clowns either.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Spiders. I've been bitten on multiple occasions by a few species. The black widow bite to the back on my leg, just below my knee was so incredibly painful. My leg was either in pain, or numb for almost 2 weeks.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Funny how many people mention heights...I don't mind the heights, have taken falls up to 20 meters, but off-vertical slabs turn me into a blubbering puddle. The thought of "cheese-grating" down scares me like nothing else.

I also have a hard time with pot holes. Since hitting one at about 50 kmh about two years ago, I can feel myself cringe inside whenever I navigate around one.

Oh, and change...I fear change...(ughhh...Disclaimer, in the current political climate, this statement is not in any way, shape or form political.)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Flying...or more specifically, flying as a passenger. I know it's completely irrational but, regardless, I'm afraid of it.

The downer is I "get" to do the trans-atlantic crossing quite a bit...it can be rough for the first couple minutes...or hours, depending on the circumstance(s).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not afraid of heights, but I do find it funny and weird at the same time that every time i'm standing on a ledge or otherwise near a huge drop there's a part of my brain that goes "jump. you know you want to."

It's weird, I know :D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really afraid of anything tangible. It's the intangible that terrifies me: emotions, actions, etc. I'm terrified of failing, losing loved ones, losing my dog, getting hurt (physically, emotionally, mentally), or doing something to disappoint somebody I love. Spiders and snakes, stuff like that, doesn't scare me unless they pose some sort of threat, then it's the result I fear most.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bankers, lawyers, the dentist (I am an anti-dentite), Joe Divola, overly religious and dogmatic people, teenage drivers, people with too much power and influence, Nazi Skinheads when they're in a group (otherwise total pussies when they're rolling solo), and Asian Carp.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
All the fit looking new guys at the start of a bike race. I think they are just about to rip my legs off.

But when wheels start touching in the sprint I just sh!!! myself and sit up to live and ride another day
its about healthy respect. we can overcome.

Work it out your self every square inch of skin is worth $1,000 at least.

Latest posts