• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 13, 2012
Visit site
Long Shot: Do You Know These Hands?

I'm looking for the guy who followed and then pulled me up the Alp d'Huez at the 2011 Tour, before the riders. We had a nice chat and I think he said he's from Spain. I ride a white/silver Klein. When we stopped for a picture here, I thanked him and headed back down the hill, something I regret now (wish I would've gone all the way with him. Um… yeah.) Well, if you know someone who has a green/black watch, a Samsung phone, a white Giro helmet, and orange/black shades, please send him my way :)

http://tinyurl.com/7molkox

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Visited a European Market today for the first time; maybe some of you out there have had these.

Zywiec Porter
images

I had a few of these last night. It is a really nice beer, but my head is killing me this morning!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
10k down the road
384577_10151937704715012_2090075375_n.jpg

We just ordered our first Local beer and it will be here when we open Friday July 13th
Red Agave IPA
Imperial Red IPA. Contains sweet malts and hops flavor with intense softening organic agave nectar. It has dark amber because of its malts imported glass and intense bitterness and aroma.
$4 for Full pints

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I've got a herniated L4/L5 disc in my back. I've been off beer and my bike since mid June. I just had a Grolsch Non Alcoholic beer, and looked at my bike.

Oh, what I'd give for a real beer and a bike ride.

A

Anonymous

Just finished Gouden Carolus Cuvée Van De Keizer Blue label.

Brilliant beer. Absolutely brilliant.

Heading to Italy tomorrow gonna check out the Italian craft brewery scene. Can't wait.

Ciao everybody.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Some years ago I got into home-brewing. Back then about the most flavorful beers (non-import) we could get in the US were like Killian's Red, or Rolling Rock. There was a nice beer out of Maryland, I forget the name, but it had a circulation of just over zero.

I actually got 2nd in the state fair one year. Today we have lots of micro-brews, and I don't have the time for home-brewing. But I have always loved a good balance flavor best - not too much hops, like an IPA, not too much malt, like many porters, stouts, and "brown ales". My favorite is a British type of ale, with medium body and a good hop sharpness to balance the body and sweetness of the malt.

I keep coming back to Long Trail Ale as my preferred brand of this type of beer. Long Trail also produces some other very fine brews - their brewmaster, like me, believes in a balance of flavors. Adirondack is another brewery that does a good job with this. Adirondack offers a wide variety of brews, quite a few of which are flavored. I rarely care for flavoring in beer. It can be nice, but I prefer a HINT of flavor that adds to complexity and balance, and most brewmasters like to slug you in the face with the flavoring. So you won't find the latest blueberry/coffee/chocolate beer offering in my home. Adirondack goes slightly over the "hint" line, but they still do a good job.

I will tell you one beer, though, that has flavoring and is more than excellent - Dogfish Head's Chicory Porter. They don't produce it all the time, but if you happen to see some, you have my recommendation to try it! They have an excellent balance of chicory's coffee-like bitterness to counter the basic maltiness of a porter. A superb beer.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

Very nice! I'll send a PM to Slowoldman:D

I had a Westy 12 just last night. Me and Mrs. SoCal split one, 2009 vintage. It was just sooooo good.

51d6kg.jpg

A couple of tips;

If you are able to get your hands on some... I beg you not to drink it right away. The beer is easily bottle-shocked and really needs time to rest. give it a month or so and you won't be sorry. Cool place, no light, not the refrigerator and definitely not on it's side.

DO NOT DRINK IT TOO COLD!! Think fine red-wine and you won't be far off.

The beer tends to be very carbonated, it's bottle conditioned so there is live yeast in the bottle (don't pour the entire contents in your glass), make damned sure you drink it from a chalice shaped glass, delicately pour it in your glass and then let it sit there for 10 or 15 minutes. DO NOT POUR THIS BEER A PINT GLASS! The Monks will come and get ya.

And a big thanks to HJ for bringing this extremely important turn of events to this board :D

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
That's not beer.
Scott, I missed out as well, Wines Plus (or something like that) in Northridge was the closest to me, I called them at 2PM and they were sold out. So now I am drowning my sorrows with one or so of these.

2ltrlgp.jpg

Well except for the mac'n'cheese.

Cool. Carbo loading. Love it.

Here's a little secret... Ok, probably not a super well kept secret. St Bernardus used to brew Westvleteren up until 1993 under license. The St Bernardus Apt is very, very close to Westy 12 and you can get it here.

Same rules apply, chalice, not too cold, treat it more like wine, open and let it breathe, etc. Between that and Rochefort 10 nobody should be super upset that they may have missed the first US public sales of Westvleteren.

Okay, be a little upset.

Look, if you've never had a Westy, you missed something very unique.

Actually, I'm a little ****ed, given how much I spend on beer at Total Wine, that they didn't extend a VIP invitation to their top customers.

Now that I think about it, I can't believe that the Westvleteren Monks didn't feature me in a f'ing press conference given how many f'ing people I've turned on to their beer.

Just kidding:D Don't want to go to hell for that little rant.:eek:

TRENDING THREADS