• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you carry for ID/Medical info when you ride

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Expired driver license in a zip lock with my phone.

I have a gift card for one of those road id's, should probably get a dog tag from them and throw it in there as well.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
driver's license

I have a neoprene carry-thingy that fits in my jersey pocket (also carries some cash, a credit card, and the mobile phone) for training. Another option is one of those sealed sandwich bags.

Given the need/desirability to take a mobile phone, the driver's license is by comparison considerably more robust and adds a miniscule amount of additional mass. I don't see the point in bothering with anything cycling-specific.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ericfalcon said:
Expired driver license in a zip lock with my phone.

I have a gift card for one of those road id's, should probably get a dog tag from them and throw it in there as well.

Same here. DL, phone and some cash in a ziplock in case it starts to rain. I also keep my phone unlocked, so people can search my address book to contact someone (ie store a contact under ICE = in case of emergency, something else descriptive).

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Expired license + RoadID

I know most people on here hate RoadID, but I do like their product. FWIW, the ICE numbers that people stick on their phones are mostly useless. Medical personnel look for stuff like RoadIDs, not through the directory on your phone.

Obviously there are a gazillion dog tag companies out there if you wish to boycott Levi and Bob.

May 13, 2011
Visit site
SS dog tag from the old days around my neck or an old community pool or ymca id in the seat bag. Iphone goes in a jersey pocket or on long rides an old ID and the phone in my camelbak.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I keep a complete copy of my medical records, full emergency contact list in order, signed will, and power of attorney. :eek:

TexPat said:
I keep Levi Leipheimer in my jersey pocket. If something bad happens, he'll shout out to all and sundry.

Every time I see his id tag commercial I laugh because no one knows who Levi is so he needs it even when riding with friends :D, talk about advertising gone wrong.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
this was discussed at length on a motorbike forum as it came to the conclusion that the medical info would not be looked for as the medics attending the scene of the accident would be trying to get you to the hospital and Doctors asap where they will give you blood plasma instead of searching for your blood group etc...

if you ride in a regular group it would definitely be beneficial for everyone to carry some kind of standard card or info on mobile phone swhere your blood group and other related info kept so others could locate it quickly and it would be accurate so trustworthy to the medics

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
I wear a RoadID nowadays, I also have laminated copies of my DL and insurance card in one of the pockets on my bento box. I don't always carry my phone with me when I'm riding with people, though do if I'm alone.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
three condoms...you just never know what ex girlfriend you might come across...oh yeah, and a laminated picture of armstrong...just for inspiration you know...

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I am a paramedic and competitive cyclist.

I would say that if you have a pertinent medical history (on blood thinners, seizure disorder, major or rare medical history) then a road ID or medical alert bracelet is a good idea.

I can tell you the paramedics won't bother to contact anyone on your ID/phone/etc, as medical privacy laws make us unable to (here in the US). The ER will probably call someone if it is obvious (Road ID). If you are in a coma in the ICU and they don't know who you are they might start looking through your phone, but probably not before that.

Personally I carry my iPhone in my radio pocket in my bibs in case I need to make a call. I don't bother with a ziploc or anything; I do sweat a lot, but rarely ride in the rain and have never had a problem. I also keep $20 in under my footbed in my shoes for emergencies (which also includes the unscheduled food stop).

I have a small saddlebag with a tube, CO2 and lever. That is it.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Label inside my helmet with blood type meds and contact phone number in case I get lost .
One day Garmin will be able to track me from home computer so my missus
can see where I am to check on me.

She will then be able to know when I am 10 mins from home and put the cofee on.
so guys lock out the Garmin training site with ecrypted password or you may be in trouble and end up wearing the coffee down your neck.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The Gnome said:
three condoms...you just never know what ex girlfriend you might come across...oh yeah, and a laminated picture of armstrong...just for inspiration you know...

What part of the photo the bit with no testicles!!!!!

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Road ID Bracelet

I wear the Road ID bracelet and carry a little money. I also like being able to update the information. I used to carry my drivers license but did not want to lose it.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I keep an expired drivers' license and $10 note (aussie banknotes are plastic:D) permanently in the saddle bag of my road bike. No medical issues of note, and ambulance won't be giving blood anyway so blood type mostly irrelevant.

I will usually carry my phone in a ziploc in my jersey pocket, and will add a credit card for longer rides, but rarely carry anything more.

Sport ID (Aust):Sport ID f*ck Levi

I have this on my helmet
Vital%20Helmet%20ID%20Australias%20cheapest%20and%20best.jpg

and occasionally wear the bracelet as well - usually if I'm heading out of the city by myself
I include my blood type amongst the other info on the tag.

in my pocket is Driver's licence and blood donor card with blood group information

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I keep a complete copy of my medical records, full emergency contact list in order, signed will, and power of attorney. :eek:

Every time I see his id tag commercial I laugh because no one knows who Levi is so he needs it even when riding with friends :D, talk about advertising gone wrong.

Levi who????

usually just have cell phone, unlocked.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
organ donor card, address where to send the leftovers.

Seriously, if you don't wear a helmet definitely get the organ donor card. You could save lives.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a Road ID with my info and the phrase "Avenge My Death." If some texting jacka$$ in a SUV (or Prius) runs me over, I want the crowd assembled around my corpse to stomp the life out of him.

TRENDING THREADS