• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What kind of computer?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a Garmin Forerunner 405, which has HR although cadence and bar mounting require accessories. Large display, excellent backlight, and the GPS allows you to race a virtual partner or against your own previous efforts. Will cost at least $300 with the accessories though.

If cost is an issue, you might get everything you want buy picking up a Cateye Astrale computer for about $40, then getting a simple HR monitor with zero extra features. You can still find those on ebay.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I have a Garmin Forerunner 405, which has HR although cadence and bar mounting require accessories. Large display, excellent backlight, and the GPS allows you to race a virtual partner or against your own previous efforts. Will cost at least $300 with the accessories though.

If cost is an issue, you might get everything you want buy picking up a Cateye Astrale computer for about $40, then getting a simple HR monitor with zero extra features. You can still find those on ebay.

This is the route to go I outlined in my posts. Astrale 8 is msrp of $40 and frequently under $30.

Then an hrm separately. Should be able to get away for no more than $110 combined. I like avg heart rate and a few basic bells and whistles: time in zone, calories, % of cals from fat. Nothing too elaborate.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
This is the route to go I outlined in my posts. Astrale 8 is msrp of $40 and frequently under $30.

Then an hrm separately. Should be able to get away for no more than $110 combined. I like avg heart rate and a few basic bells and whistles: time in zone, calories, % of cals from fat. Nothing too elaborate.

Oh yeah, so you did. Advice so nice he gets to hear it twice.

I'm going to add to the Polar bashing, I have a S725 and it's been really disappointing. Lose connection on half my rides and get erroneous readings. The uploaded info is nice, but it is a pain in the a$$ to upload. About every year and a half to two years you need to send it in to an authorized repair shop that overcharges to get the battery changed, which also means a couple weeks without a computer. During this last time I used a Cateye Strada Wireless with an older Polar I had lying around which was pretty solid.

I tried the Polar power system with my computer and it was completely worthless. Takes at least 2 hours to install. First unit didn't work at all. Sent it back for a replacement and the cables tore within 2 weeks. Sent it back and requested a refund, not worth the effort.

End of rant.

My dad has a Sigma Rox 9.0 and while he said it was information overload, he's getting used to it and likes it. I'm thinking about getting one myself. The Garmin 705 with maps looks nice, but I'm a poor just out of grad school kid :(

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Nice device but Garmin is better value IMO

Marva32 said:
I was wondering if anyone has more information or reviews about the Sigma Rox 9.0?

I had a Sigma ROX for some time.

It was a pretty good piece of kit. The altitude meter isn't perfect, but it works reasonably well. The battery also lasts a long time.

However, the mount failed on me twice - and the second time, I couldn't find the head unit.

The software is also less than perfect, if you ask me.

So I bought a Garmin Edge 500. Some versions of the firmware are a bit flaky (make sure you install the latest version), but the physical hardware itself is great - and, importantly, the mount seems to be a bit more secure :)

So unless battery life is extremely important to you, or you can get a Sigma for a lot less than the Garmin, I'd go with the Edge 500.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I've had three Polars and after the last one started to get too fussy after less than a year I switched to the Garmin Edge 500. So far, no issues downloading data (the Polar infared would always get fussy from time to time mainly annoying me to no end), the HRM and speed/cadence sensors seem a lot more robust, so far, have only used it for the past three months.

I always thought the Polar's were the best but this third unit (725x) moved me away rather quickly. Sticky buttons, HRM, Speed, cadence sensor issues way too often. The previous units (720 and XTrainer) were great! Why this one went south is beyond me. I will send it in to be refurbished and any Polar fans here can look for it on E-bay soon after I get it back :).

In all fairness I bought the 725X on E-bay and had to send it back as soon as I got it. They sent a new one back but I think they must of been selling the units from the defective out bin at the factory. The Garmin features like the Workout feature are rather fun to use and the GPS feature is also nice to have to map rides out for comparison later on. I know the new Polar's have it as well but you need to have that extra GPS contraption stowed away under the saddle or in your back pockets, seems like a lot more gadgets to carry than the Garmin and the price! Ouch!

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
This kind of computer i love most, pure feeling, i just look at data at the end, way more relaxing. As many others i have freinds with Polar dead, not sure why but 3 of 5 have some issue.

s5000396.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

TRENDING THREADS