What should be done about idiotic spectators?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
3,687
1
0
RobbieCanuck said:
. It is impossible to fence off the whole route.
Nonsense. It's expensive, but saying it's impossible to put barriers at the Alpe d'Huez is hyperbole. That's quite a broad road with plenty of room.

In the end that's only the only solution: Barriers.
 
Mar 20, 2009
249
0
9,030
Race Radio said:
Supposedly the Italian Police are looking for the guy in the World Championship jersey and want to charge him with interfering with a sporting event
Rightly so. I found it extremely immature of him to realize his mistake and, in the next shot, see him running alongside another cyclist-- obviously, the fool never learns.
 
bikebottles said:
So glad to see this discussion. Every mountain stage is nerve racking, hoping these running idiots don't cause a problem for the riders.

We would like to see fines given to spectators who interfere with any rider. It would not be hard to post notices...no running in the roadway...no interference...
Spectators are supposed to sit meekly by the roadway and golfclap when the race passes by? They fenced long sections of il Giro in 2014 and what do you get? Boring shots of cyclists riding up a fenced route. Same is true at some of the spring classics.

It is unfortunate that sometimes riders are bumped, but in most cases it is not *the* deciding factor. Normally, the rider is under pressure by someone else anyway.

I also find the characterization that everyone on the mountain is drunk both not plausible and entertaining.

In many cases, this is not a job for the police. Rare cases? Probably.
 
With the absolutely huge (1 million according to Yorkshire officials) crowds expected roadside over the weekend in Yorkshire I just hope everyone behaves themselves and nobody is foolish enough to disturb the race.
 
Nov 29, 2010
2,326
0
0
Pricey_sky said:
With the absolutely huge (1 million according to Yorkshire officials) crowds expected roadside over the weekend in Yorkshire I just hope everyone behaves themselves and nobody is foolish enough to disturb the race.
Huge crowds ? But Waitrose in yorkshire billed it as a "local sporting event" :p



They did release an apology later for understating the event somewhat ...

Someone in thier managment doesn't like cycling. :rolleyes:
 
deValtos said:
Huge crowds ? But Waitrose in yorkshire billed it as a "local sporting event" :p



They did release an apology later for understating the event somewhat ...

Someone in thier managment doesn't like cycling. :rolleyes:
Yeah I found that poster laughable, obviously some fool who doesn't have a clue what is about to happen. Was it a Yorkshire waitrose though? The Monday is the Cambridge-London stage.
 
Jun 30, 2012
1,300
0
0
The fans, idiotic or not, are the whole point of professional cycling. The fans are who pays for the complete circus. If you are a racing cyclist don't want the crowds, get a real job, and just race in the local derby (or just stick with the ToC - nobody much watches bike racing in the US since cancer jesus "retired". Women's football gets bigger crowds - and I thought I'd NEVER be saying that).

I did, however, enjoy seeing that idiot get tripped up. And I do like seeing the riders punch them. All part of the drama.
 
Jul 10, 2011
30
0
0
DirtyWorks said:
Spectators are supposed to sit meekly by the roadway and golfclap when the race passes by? They fenced long sections of il Giro in 2014 and what do you get? Boring shots of cyclists riding up a fenced route. Same is true at some of the spring classics.

It is unfortunate that sometimes riders are bumped, but in most cases it is not *the* deciding factor. Normally, the rider is under pressure by someone else anyway.

I also find the characterization that everyone on the mountain is drunk both not plausible and entertaining.

In many cases, this is not a job for the police. Rare cases? Probably.
Interesting that you are entertained by the crowd aspect more so than "boring" barrier shots.

We are not entertained by the crowds and their antics and costumes and would prefer that they keep themselves off road where they can be a spectacle but not putting the riders at risk.
 
Franklin said:
Nonsense. It's expensive, but saying it's impossible to put barriers at the Alpe d'Huez is hyperbole. That's quite a broad road with plenty of room.

In the end that's only the only solution: Barriers.
When I said impossible, I was not referring to the fact it is not physically impossible. You are taking my post too literally, and not sufficiently figuratively (as opposed to hyperbolically)

However it would be highly impractical. Does that phrase give you better comfort? We are talking about 20 kms of barriers. Barriers on both sides is 40 kms. Each are about 10 feet in length. The cost is prohibitive. There are not enough gendarmes or volunteers to police them. There are barely enough gendarmes to police the barriers for the last 3 or 4 kms at Alpe d'Huiz.

Erecting the barriers would be an enormous task. Since there are small gaps between the ends of each barrier the custom of people dressing up and running along side of riders would not IMO be deterred by barriers especially on the lower slopes at Alpe d'Huez. They are deterred at the top by the greater presence of gendarmes which tends to inhibit fans from running onto the road. But again the amount of person-power is not available.

The time commitment to put the barriers in place and take them down would be ginormous. I have organized tons of running and triathlon races and I know the headaches of just getting a few volunteers. When the riders come by, in my experience, the fans go nuts, are often drunk and press into the barriers with arms outreached etc. and there is the danger of them coming down onto a rider.

If you think you can convince the organizers, go for it, because the problem is getting worse, but IMO, practicality has its limits on this issue .
 
Sep 10, 2013
7
0
0
murali said:
can the cops do anything to the stupid fools who run in front of riders?
While shooting or throwing them into ravines is a bit over-reacting why not outfit the accompanying motorcyclists with paintball guns shooting brightly colored paint balls? A shot to the but can be quite a painful surprise/deterrent and a good way to help the police 'escort' them off the course and then liberate them of say 1000-1500 euros in fines for disorderly conduct or the like.

Rich
 
Rich Gibson said:
While shooting or throwing them into ravines is a bit over-reacting why not outfit the accompanying motorcyclists with paintball guns shooting brightly colored paint balls? A shot to the but can be quite a painful surprise/deterrent and a good way to help the police 'escort' them off the course and then liberate them of say 1000-1500 euros in fines for disorderly conduct or the like.

Rich
a nice idea, except for the ability to ride a moto and shoot someone's running **** at the same time - preferrably without them tripping from the fright and bringing down others in the process. Followed by either the riders themselves getting caught in the pile up or the moto itself crashing into them...

Don't get me wrong, the idea of paintballing them would be greatly entertaining - as long as that 'squash-ball' bruise doesn't become badges of honour for the nitwits
 
Nov 16, 2011
426
0
0
Seems like they just need more cops and to enforce the laws? Surely there must be some kind of public intoxication laws on the books there. They just need to enforce it. There's a lot of drinking going on in these public places, so an open container enforcement would be another way to get rid of these problem characters.
 
I'm seeing more and more "fan" taking photos or filming with tablets/iPads. These idiots can't see the race right in front of them holding those things up.
Mid-race today an old guy got a shoulder full of an OPQS rider and got knocked over. I'm sure there will be some serious injuries in the future due to inattentive spectators.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
The new rage seems to be about sticking your head out and taking a selfie with the approaching riders.

"HEY LOOK AT ME AT THE TOUR OMG AWESOME"
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Tejay van Garderen ‏@tejay_van 2m
Standing I the middle of the road with you back turned while 200 cyclists come at you, just to take a selfie. #think #TDF2014

Tejay is right, I really hope that people trying to take a selfie with the pack passing are standing far off the side of the road.
 
Jun 4, 2014
762
0
0
Afrank said:
Tejay van Garderen ‏@tejay_van 2m
Standing I the middle of the road with you back turned while 200 cyclists come at you, just to take a selfie. #think #TDF2014

Tejay is right, I really hope that people trying to take a selfie with the pack passing are standing far off the side of the road.
The level of insanity is growing and this could end very bad someday but i don't see a solution to stop this crazy guys.They even broke in on the pitch at football games where the security is more higher.
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
SeriousSam said:
The new rage seems to be about sticking your head out and taking a selfie with the approaching riders.

"HEY LOOK AT ME AT THE TOUR OMG AWESOME"
People have been doing a similar thing but instead waving at the TV camera for years.
 
Jun 13, 2009
212
0
0
I'm pretty certain there will be people trying to take running selfies during the mountain stages. Arguably more dangerous as their attention is on their phone.
 
One thing I don't understand about the people taking pictures is; why do they even feel they need to look at their camera/phone/whatever?
It's digital, it's not like they have a limited amount of film. Why not just fire ahead and then sort the bad ones away?

At least I don't think anyone still uses an old fashioned analogue camera...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS