• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should HTC do next?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I know it's childish, but I thought this thread needed bumping, just to show those who have an attention span of one stage.

What is Greipel thinking? Iz he laffin at yu?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Cavendish looks better from the back of the sprinter's field than he does behind his own train.

Notice today he rode the SKY TRAIN. He is just that good. Read his book Boy Racer. Phenomenon Cavandish.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Notice today he rode the SKY TRAIN. He is just that good. Read his book Boy Racer. Phenomenon Cavandish.

I think HTC would be better served getting a crew around their GC guys rather than around Cavendish. He doesn't really need the whole leadout thing. He makes it look just that easy.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
For Cavendish to win a group sprint there first needs to be one; he needs his team close down the breakaways and to a lesser extent keep the pace high to prevent counter-attacks.

HTC failed in this tour on two stages:

Stage 4 where Cavendish blew, their train was 1 man short for the distance they tried to take it out from, hence Cavendish wasted a lot of enegy battling Hushovd for position before opening up too soon (i called the result 1.5k out).

On Stage 13 HTC didn't get enough men over the climb to drag Vino back (although they were 2 men down and Grabcsh was done for; Rogers, Sivtsov and Martin (who i expected more of) needed to be prepared for a massive effort). This is where i think Van Garderen could shine next year (taking Montfort's place) and if you add Goss for Hansen you have the ultimate stage winning machine.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
cav proved he didnt need a lead out train yesterday

bring more GC guys next year, HTC!

Cav. knows how to win the war with the army he has. Chapaue Cav.,Bob Stapleton, Team Colombia,HTC, Rolf Aldag and Erik Zabel. GC man? Ask Jan Ulrich. He knows someone. Jan knows cycling.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Just as Contador is a step up on all comers in the GC, Cav is a step up on all comers in the sprints. Personally I would have liked to see Hausler there but cav made sure that didn't happen.

Sky should have taken Henderson, he has been their best rider all year and at least would have been in the mix for a win. They have been the biggest fail for me at this Tour along with LG from whom i expected more.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
asdfgh101 said:
For Cavendish to win a group sprint there first needs to be one; he needs his team close down the breakaways and to a lesser extent keep the pace high to prevent counter-attacks.

HTC failed in this tour on two stages:

Stage 4 where Cavendish blew, their train was 1 man short for the distance they tried to take it out from, hence Cavendish wasted a lot of enegy battling Hushovd for position before opening up too soon (i called the result 1.5k out).

On Stage 13 HTC didn't get enough men over the climb to drag Vino back (although they were 2 men down and Grabcsh was done for; Rogers, Sivtsov and Martin (who i expected more of) needed to be prepared for a massive effort). This is where i think Van Garderen could shine next year (taking Montfort's place) and if you add Goss for Hansen you have the ultimate stage winning machine.

not bad..............;)

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Just as Contador is a step up on all comers in the GC, Cav is a step up on all comers in the sprints. Personally I would have liked to see Hausler there but cav made sure that didn't happen. ..

Someone brought this up in a different post so I checked up on Hausler's pre Tour de Suisse form. He'd already crashed either three or four times (brought down by Contador on one), had a knee injury and had dropped out of the Tour of California because of it. The Suisse crash obviously didn't help the knee problem, but it sounds as if he wasn't going to be on top form anyway.