• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What the *** is wrong with this giro?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Publicus said:
I love everything about this Giro. Until we get to Milan, I say this is wide open.
It is wide open, anything can happen etc. Because of crashes and mechanicals!! Nothing to love about that. Hate this Giro already. Only Alberto winning it could salvage it.
It has been the best Giro in a very long time. An emotional rollercoaster. If Contador manage to win it, I'm sure you will see this as his best GT-win ever. :D

Velolover2 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Publicus said:
I love everything about this Giro. Until we get to Milan, I say this is wide open.
It is wide open, anything can happen etc. Because of crashes and mechanicals!! Nothing to love about that. Hate this Giro already. Only Alberto winning it could salvage it.
It has been the best Giro in a very long time. An emotional rollercoaster. If Contador manage to win it, I'm sure you will see this as his best GT-win ever. :D
No, that was the 2009 TDF. By a landslide. No GT win will ever beat that.

Re:

DenisMenchov said:
I don't think people losing time because of crashes are great. Mechanical, I can live with that, but a crash that forms a roadblock is plain bad. Nothing great about that.

Riding in the front of the group is lesson #1 in bike racing. Don't ride in the front and bad things can happen. Misfortune struck. This is a part of bike racing.

Just to be 100% clear, I want no one seriously harmed in these crashes and it would be better if there were no crashes.

For me, the Giro has been the best grand tour to watch for a long time now.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Publicus said:

Every GT has crashes and favorites retiring because of that. But in terms of racing, this is one of the best GT's in years.
But only crashes and mechanicals created significant gaps between the GC contenders.

Uran and others lost almost 2 minutes thanks to great racing.

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
Tour 2009 was one of the most boring GT's i've ever seen and i'm a contador fan.
But him beating the crap out of Lance was the best thing ever. And he won the TT like a beast _O_

And the Etna stage was by far my favorite stage ever :p
Just wait, this could be his best GT win ever if we see some real action in the mountains.

He is battling against an Astana team as strong as a Roman Army. They will attack him constantly but think about the glory he will get if he manages to defend himself and even counter-attack. He will emerge as a victorious conqueror. It's like a really good movie.

DirtyWorks said:
Carols said:
Netserk said:
It has flat stages. That is what is wrong with it.

My thought exactly. But last time I said that I was jumped on....

I would argue, like today, flat stages can be their own challenge to GC contenders. The problem is always if the pace goes "piano" then it's boring. For whatever reason, the Giro seems to avoid this in recent years.

TV broadcasts of flat stages should never be more than an hour long. The first half-hour should be dedicated to watching the break form; then tune into the last 15 km's or so, when teams start to form at the front and position their sprinters for the finale. Everything else is as stimulating as dry toast.

the delgados said:
DirtyWorks said:
Carols said:
Netserk said:
It has flat stages. That is what is wrong with it.

My thought exactly. But last time I said that I was jumped on....

I would argue, like today, flat stages can be their own challenge to GC contenders. The problem is always if the pace goes "piano" then it's boring. For whatever reason, the Giro seems to avoid this in recent years.

TV broadcasts of flat stages should never be more than an hour long. The first half-hour should be dedicated to watching the break form; then tune into the last 15 km's or so, when teams start to form at the front and position their sprinters for the finale. Everything else is as stimulating as dry toast.

This....I do it for myself like today. I went out and when I came home I fast forwarded through the recorded coverage to make sure nothing happened. When it was 10km to go I watched it and Yikes at 3.2km!!!

IndianCyclist said:
Ricco' said:
You forgot something in the OP.

Stage 2 - Crash with Pozzovivo included, lost 1 minute
Stage 3 - Pozzovivo brutal scary crash
Also the horror image of Colli with the arm twisted the other way.

Yeah. To both of those. :eek:

As for this Giro being "wrong", personally I think it's very right, in that crazy insane unpredictable way only cycling can be. :D

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I really think all this *** happens when people are under too pressure. Everybody are watching the GT's, it's the riders opportunity to shine in front on the whole world.

Too many riders riding for a contract etc. It seems that there are less crashes at the Vuelta, because by then everybody will have a contract for the next year.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this Giro, but I understand OP's question. This is a great GT so far, and maybe the best part will come. It's nice because it's completely unpredictable. Year in year out we're looking to the Tour, but please skip those 3 weeks predictable cycling and please go ride like this Giro (and also as sometimes in Vuelta). Much much better GT's. Stage designers deserves some kudos.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: What the **** is wrong with this giro?

this year Giro, the contender isn't just Aru, Contador, Porte and Uran. There's one contender that everyone overlooked.... "the mother of luck" :D