• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question What Tires should I consider Buying?

Dec 29, 2019
Visit site
Dear fellow cyclists,

A few weeks ago I bought myself a second-hand Giant OCR Compact Road, size L (55,5). This is the first road bike I own myself but it wasn't my first experience with riding one. I found that possibly while it was a second-hand one, the tire grip was very bad compared to what I was used to so I started searching for a new tire. I found out that this was a quite hard quest because I hardly knew anything about it. I live in the Netherlands and while it rains here quite often it would be nice if the suggestions would also work well with bad weather conditions. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of tires I should be looking for and if anyone has any suggestions on any good ones. I am thinking about ones with a bigger width while I right now have very narrow ones compared to the ones I was used to and find that a bit tricky, while I want to be able to ride it on almost any paved road (a bit older and new ones) I would like the tires to be under 40 euro's but more expensive suggestions are also welcome. Also while it is a second-hand I was wondering if anyone knew some things I should look for when talking about replacing parts. The owner before me only used it a few times, but it was in his garage for quite a long time. Sadly I have no other information about the bike itself. I am also quite a beginner in the road cycling world so any other hints or tips are also always welcome!

Greetings, Anteros

Dec 29, 2019
Visit site
What size tyres do you want to run? You'll probably struggle to get anything over 25-28mm in there.

What kind of riding do you do?

I want to do mainly just roads, very occasionally gravel if possible. I'd like to have the biggest size tires possible, which will be quite small probably because this bike won't fit a lot of tires. So I was wondering what would be the options? Also I was wondering how I could know what size of tires I have right now?

In terms of tyre size it's going to be hard to say for definite what you can fit in there. The wheels will make a bit of a difference as well, although it's not huge. If you can find a set of 28s you can borrow to check then I would. That said, I run 25s on my fixed wheel in Scotland throughout the winter and I do some gravel on it too. For grip, it's the compound that matters on road bike tyres and that usually means that the more you pay the better it's going to be (it also means that they tend to wear out quicker and are more prone to punctures so it's a bit of a trade off).

Some suggestions:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-raceguard-folding-road-tyre-1/ I've run one of these on the front wheel of my fixed wheel and it's been good. Never felt like it was going to slip, even when I've clipped my pedals on the road.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-gt-folding-road-tyre/ I used to run these on my geared bike in winter before I went tubeless. I've had problems with other Conti tyres but not these. The Black Chilli compound is really grippy, same stuff they use in their top end tyres.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-gravel-king-folding-road-tyre/ I'm a big fan of Panaracer tyres. I run gravel king SKs for proper fixed gravel riding and a ribmo on the back and a Race D Evo 3 on the front of my fixed wheel for both commuting, long rides and light gravel. These gravel kings come in 25, 26 and 28s so you should be able to get something that fits, the tread will help a little bit on gravel and they'll roll well on the road.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPARADEVO3/panaracer-race-d-evo-3-tyre Another Panaracer suggestion. Going cheap as the Evo 4 has come out.

Clement Strada LGG are built for people like you. I run them on a winter bike in mucky conditions, with gritty roads in the country. Not one problem - don't mention it, but not one flat since I put them on a year ago. Look them up. Designed by your near neighbours, the Belgians.

Small point, Clement are now Donnelly . You can still get hold of the Clement branded tyres, but if you're struggling to find certain models and sizes, that's why. Personally I'm not a fan of the Strada LGG, I found them to cut up pretty quickly and the sidewalls seemed weak, there's no way I'd have considered riding them on gravel. It's possible they have improved them, I tried them when the brand (Clement) first resurfaced and it was the tan walls I was using.

Small point, Clement are now Donnelly . You can still get hold of the Clement branded tyres, but if you're struggling to find certain models and sizes, that's why. Personally I'm not a fan of the Strada LGG, I found them to cut up pretty quickly and the sidewalls seemed weak, there's no way I'd have considered riding them on gravel. It's possible they have improved them, I tried them when the brand (Clement) first resurfaced and it was the tan walls I was using.
I have been wondering where our enquirer has gone. It seems a bit rude to go on a forum and request suggestions, but then to disappear after one additional post!
My version of the LGG was in the black sidewall variety and I only want them for the roads. This time of year, where I live, the roads are often wet and are covered in sand, mud and small flints on the surface. I was a bit bold with my last post and tempted providence - one of the sharp little buggers got through to the inner tube on Monday! Still, it's been a good record so far.
Thanks for the info about the change of name.

I'm guessing that it was posted across a number of different forums and social media platforms. While CN is great for pro racing discussion and the things surrounding it, I think we lag behind others on our general riding and bike advice, so it's quite possible the OP got an answer quicker elsewhere.

I have a theory that black sidewalls are tougher than tan sidewalls (and to be fair I haven't investigated it so it might be well known). Problems with tan wall tyres seem much more common, at least around Glasgow. The Panaracer Evo D is a good, tough tyre. Seems to cut up much slower than the Schwalbe Durano I was running beforehand and grips well too. Going cheap on PlanetX too.

I'm guessing that it was posted across a number of different forums and social media platforms. While CN is great for pro racing discussion and the things surrounding it, I think we lag behind others on our general riding and bike advice, so it's quite possible the OP got an answer quicker elsewhere.

I have a theory that black sidewalls are tougher than tan sidewalls (and to be fair I haven't investigated it so it might be well known). Problems with tan wall tyres seem much more common, at least around Glasgow. The Panaracer Evo D is a good, tough tyre. Seems to cut up much slower than the Schwalbe Durano I was running beforehand and grips well too. Going cheap on PlanetX too.
I am sure you are right.
Would that be the Panaracer Race D Evo 3 ?

So far so good! Got a reliability ride this Sunday to properly test it if it goes ahead (Wind doesn't look like it's going to play ball).
Your forecast does not look good. If it goes ahead, have a good ride and I hope the Panaracers perform. Have fun.

Our forecast does not look a great deal better but I have a VTTA annual lunch to drive to, with suitable trinkets to collect. That will keep the bike tyres nice!

TRENDING THREADS