• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What tubulars do you prefer?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Its been awhile since i did cyclocross, but i recently built up a bike and was wondering about tubulars.
I have always had good luck with Vittoria, but was wondering about some of the other tires out there and what people thought about them.
I have never heard much on the subject of Continentals, Grifo, Challenge etc
the Dugasti are out of my price range.
what do you guys ride as a basic all purpose tire and why?
thanks
:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Personally, i use a 32mm Vittoria Cross Evo XG. They're nice and supple and have versatile tread. If your league events are generally on loose dirt then you're fixed with these. When things get really gloopy (around late November here in the UK) they hold their won but can struggle for traction. I don't really have an answer to this problem yet but will most likely go for Vittoria's new mud tyre since the XG has been so good to me. At around 400g, their weight is spot on for the cash outlay. I weigh 75kgs and ran these at 40psi last season with no flats. In my mind, if it ain't broke don't fix it! WIll be riding them again this season. The only down side is that the rubber is a little soft hence they wear fairly quickly. You should get two seasons out of them though.

May 24, 2009
Visit site
cross tires

I'll go with the Challenge Grifo's 34 this season. Their forte road tubs are great too. The vittoria's dont hook up well. I 'll run them down and peel them off. Tufos are garbarge

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Full budget

It's a shame about price range - I held back for years and then when I shelled out on a couple of sets of Dugast Rhinos I realised I'd been handicapping myself in the past.

I'd get the best you can afford to be honest - the sidewalls and materials used in those handmade tubs are just so important - it's like riding on a cushion and grip is never an issue. Given that I ride in the UK and never have a dry cyclocross at all, I'd love to agree about those other brands, but I need some meaty tread I'm afraid!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice
Most of my races i would be on dry loose dirt, so i am leaning toward the vittoria. I can buy 4 of those tires for the price of just 1 Dugast and since the courses here used to be plagued with thorns i can't really justify the price when the tires could so easily be ruined...
But if i things go well and i decide to race a muddy course like nationals
i just might splurge for the Rhinos...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
lordconqueror said:
So, under similar conditions as mentioned above, if you have an XG and 30mm Tufo Elite LPS, which one goes front and which one rear, and why?

Is the XG 32mm? If so, put that up front. Why? Larger volume, run at lower pressure = better grip. If you're racing on the hoods at most cross races, more of your weight is on the front and you'll get the benefit of the larger volume cushioning the ride.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd listen to the advice already given on the Vittorias and Tufos. They just don't hook up as well as the Challenge and Dugasts. The Vits are also very narrow for their stated sizes. You need to go with a 34, at least, in the Vits. The Vits are also very slippery and you WILL END UP ON YOUR HEAD. Not that that doesn't happen all the time in cross, and it's not real dangerous, but you'll get tired of it and start backing off and not driving the turns hard. For the money the Challenge tires are the best bet. The are cheaper, a little heavier than Dugasts, and a heckuva lot tougher. You'll love 'em. Either the Grifo or the new Fango. Sweet tires.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Surly B said:
I'd listen to the advice already given on the Vittorias and Tufos. They just don't hook up as well as the Challenge and Dugasts. The Vits are also very narrow for their stated sizes. You need to go with a 34, at least, in the Vits. The Vits are also very slippery and you WILL END UP ON YOUR HEAD. Not that that doesn't happen all the time in cross, and it's not real dangerous, but you'll get tired of it and start backing off and not driving the turns hard. For the money the Challenge tires are the best bet. The are cheaper, a little heavier than Dugasts, and a heckuva lot tougher. You'll love 'em. Either the Grifo or the new Fango. Sweet tires.

Can't agree with some of this post, I'm afraid. Raced 32mm Vittoria XG's on plenty of courses matching those described (loose dirt) last year with no traction problems at all until the last third of the season when a narrower mud tire would have been better. Have heard good things about the Challenge tyres too.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
I've really liked Conti tubs in the past, but the costs and the pain-in-the-*** time it takes to prep and glue it all up has driven me to clinchers. Not as good a ride, but cheaper and easier to fix a flat.

TRENDING THREADS