• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What wine ya' drinkin?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I never tire of Francis Coppola's Black Label Claret. That goes so well with a good filet.

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is another favorite, pretty much anything made from Sangiovese, now that I think about it.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I never tire of Francis Coppola's Black Label Claret. That goes so well with a good filet.

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is another favorite, pretty much anything made from Sangiovese, now that I think about it.

Sangiovese made me a father. I'll shorten a long story.

Wife had been drinking sangiovese at a dinner party. We came home, I was beat. (I am a homebody, any partying is exhausting.) I was gettin' ready to go to sleep, she goes 'c'mon', I said eff off or words to that effect. She was like No! this could ONLY happen if she had been drinking and is why I have been alcohol from my home. If I wanted to get laid, I'd a stayed single.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:

Recently had a great Banfi Poggio Alle Mura Brunello, 2004. Was awesome. Am off to the Giro stage which finishes in Montalcino, I work in the wine trade in the UK so am going to get in touch with some wineries in the hope of going to a couple of tours around them

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
2 buck chuck;)

We dig the 2 buck chuck too. On the cheap side, we also drink "Evil Bit@h" and "Mad Housewife" which seems pretty redundant.
Chillin' Santa Marghereta Pinot Grigio for tonight and got a nice Port primed for Friday.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
There are some decent boxed wines out there.

C'mon gentlemen. This kind of talk from a group that willingly pays thousands for a wheelset in the hopes they can go faster. You do get what you pay for. I'm not just saying that because winemaking is in the family.
Spend the money and try a Tommassi Amarone, preferably 6 years+ old and drink it by yourself.
For a lighter fare try a Domaine Serene Pinot out of Oregon, preferably Yamhill Cuvee (best buy at the price).
Then ride and train on cheaper wheels 'cause your priorities will begin to reset.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
C'mon gentlemen. This kind of talk from a group that willingly pays thousands for a wheelset in the hopes they can go faster. You do get what you pay for. I'm not just saying that because winemaking is in the family.
Spend the money and try a Tommassi Amarone, preferably 6 years+ old and drink it by yourself.
For a lighter fare try a Domaine Serene Pinot out of Oregon, preferably Yamhill Cuvee (best buy at the price).
Then ride and train on cheaper wheels 'cause your priorities will begin to reset.

Not to say what you recommend isn't the bees knees. I love a nice Pinot Noir more than any other red which is why the headline caught my eye.

But...Sorry. I trust my taste buds and am not so full of myself that I can't look askance at boxed wine out of hand. Most boxed wines are crap. So aren't most bottled wines, but at least with the boxed you'll never get ripped off. :D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
Sangiovese made me a father. I'll shorten a long story.

Wife had been drinking sangiovese at a dinner party. We came home, I was beat. (I am a homebody, any partying is exhausting.) I was gettin' ready to go to sleep, she goes 'c'mon', I said eff off or words to that effect. She was like No! this could ONLY happen if she had been drinking and is why I have been alcohol from my home. If I wanted to get laid, I'd a stayed single.

Man that grape is a total aphrodisiac. It has never made me a father, but...:D

stefrees said:
Recently had a great Banfi Poggio Alle Mura Brunello, 2004. Was awesome. Am off to the Giro stage which finishes in Montalcino, I work in the wine trade in the UK so am going to get in touch with some wineries in the hope of going to a couple of tours around them

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out. I studied in Montepulciano and took any chance to tour the wineries. I was a complete novice at the time but learned so much. Man I'd like to go back.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
My wine tip from a few years back: buy the wine with the highest alcohol percentage you can find at a good price. This way you have to drink less of it. :)

Works even better than cheap beer and a funnel, though not as fun.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:

I have very low expectations of the child. The whole act lasted 47.8 seconds.

(God forgive me, anything for a laugh.)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
2003 Rioja

Baron de Ley. But mainly Claret and Chablis because I haven't got the mileage left in my liver to try all the fabulous stuff out there and it mildly annoys my Australian sister-in-law.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out. I studied in Montepulciano and took any chance to tour the wineries. I was a complete novice at the time but learned so much. Man I'd like to go back.

its excellent, if your in the UK its available at majestic, and i imagine will be fairly widely available in europe. you had much experience with any super tuscans?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
its excellent, if your in the UK its available at majestic, and i imagine will be fairly widely available in europe. you had much experience with any super tuscans?

Not as much as I'd like. I tried a couple in Italy, but it has been a few years. Being in the states, I don't get much of an opportunity to try many wines anymore. There is a wine bar near my house that cycles wines in and out weekly, but I haven't seen any come through. The owner would tell me if something like that came in; he knows my affinity for Italian wines, especially those from Tuscany.