• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

wheels

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick question,

what were the old school time trail wheel made out of, e.g. lemond and fignon's in '89, were they carbon back then?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Lemond was riding a composite disc wheel in the rear with a regular alloy rimmed wheel in the front on his TT bike.

Composites where used but mostly for special events like the TT and in track racing. Mavic, Campy, HED...they all had composite disc wheels then, HED had the Tri-spoke. Anyone remember the Ghibli from Campy?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I can remember in the 1950's ans 60' we moved up from bamboo rims to Fiame alloy if that is any help we actualy had 5 speed gears with bar end shifters.

I still use the shifters on a Campy 10 speed they still work as good now.

Disk wheels only shave seconds but upgrade from steel to allow shaved minutes.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Big GMaC said:
Just a quick question,

what were the old school time trail wheel made out of, e.g. lemond and fignon's in '89, were they carbon back then?

The rear discs were carbon, not sure of Fignon's front wheel though, maybe those spoke covers. Makes you wonder if that was contributing to that 8 seconds, as nobody uses front disks anymore.
2924648119_c67fcf42f7_o.jpg

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The rear discs were carbon, not sure of Fignon's front wheel though, maybe those spoke covers. Makes you wonder if that was contributing to that 8 seconds, as nobody uses front disks anymore.
2924648119_c67fcf42f7_o.jpg

I think that the front being a disk is more areo, but worse in cross winds, if i remember correctly there are some photos of the GBR track team doing training with only the front disk, using a regular 32 spoke rear. Also, do better carbons mean you can engineer deep dishes, giving the aero benefit of a front disk, without the cross wind problems?

Big GMaC said:
Just a quick question,

front and rear yes. my team sponsor back then was "aerosports" and the
front and rear wheels would usually be carbon. spoke covers were a poor man's
fix. not that they were bad, but carbon even then was the ****e.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
They were also comparatively heavy, often weighing in excess of 1kg for the bare wheel - I have an old Ambrosio isc that has threading for a freewheel / track sprocket on either side - I sometimes use it for TT's on fixed gear - once 'wound up' if feels like it'll go on forever.