• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When will Team Radio Shack close shop?

Armstrong won't do anything after the Tour. The team was not invited to the Vuelta. That leaves Horner for his usual attempt at Lombardia. Next year the team has nothing to capture the interest of the American public. How will they build an advertising campaign around Leechy the Human Sleeping Pill? If Armstrong really does IM Kona then RS will be putting their promotion dollars into advertising that instead of the cycling team.

A

Anonymous

I expect the Radio Shack, the corporation to be in Chapter 7 bankruptcy long before the GT's come around again next year.

That will pretty much set the timetable for Team Radio Shack closing down. No more sponsor cheques.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:
I expect the Radio Shack, the corporation to be in Chapter 7 bankruptcy long before the GT's come around again next year.

That will pretty much set the timetable for Team Radio Shack closing down. No more sponsor cheques.

We could have a poll, who folds first? The team or the sponsor?

A

Anonymous

I'll tell you what, I went in one last week because I needed a USB extension cable (female and male ends), and they had two. One for $34 and one for $36...for an extension. I found one at Big Lots for $9. RS used to be a place where you could get reasonably priced electronic bits that you had a hard time finding anywhere else. Now they sell cellphones.

If Christmas is weak because of the economy, they are toast by the end of January.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I've got to wonder how motivated some of the Shack domestiques are at this point. Not too much hope of a big pot of prizemoney to divvy up. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't get paychecks in the near future, possibly even including paychecks for the month of July. They are getting yelled at on a daily basis by an unhappy leader. Motivation to phone in the performances has to be high.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I'll tell you what, I went in one last week because I needed a USB extension cable (female and male ends), and they had two. One for $34 and one for $36...for an extension. I found one at Big Lots for $9. RS used to be a place where you could get reasonably priced electronic bits that you had a hard time finding anywhere else. Now they sell cellphones.

If Christmas is weak because of the economy, they are toast by the end of January.

We bought an HDTV+bluray for Xmas. Had to get a few HDMI cables. RadioShack sold them for about $40, Lowes for $25-30, then I went online and got 3 for $1.99 each plus $5 S&H or so. I've no idea how Radioshack stays in business. Color me surprised. Or confused, like the guy who wrote the Onion piece.

cyclestationgiuseppe said:
The team has already folded.
:D

Well, yeah, sort of. ;)

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:

Not likely to happen. Radio Shack's move to focus on selling mobile phones and plans is working. Business is much better.

A

Anonymous

ManInFull said:
Not likely to happen. Radio Shack's move to focus on selling mobile phones and plans is working. Business is much better.

Not enough to pay rent.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
I've got to wonder how motivated some of the Shack domestiques are at this point. Not too much hope of a big pot of prizemoney to divvy up. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't get paychecks in the near future, possibly even including paychecks for the month of July. They are getting yelled at on a daily basis by an unhappy leader. Motivation to phone in the performances has to be high.[/QUOTE]

Would that be sent in via their team issue Tandy brickcell replicas? They could also use a Tandy CB base but no one else except Tennessee truckers would hear them.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
ManInFull said:

Well, actually I would be a bit sad to see Radioshack go (the company, not the team). It happens maybe once or twice a year that I absolutely need a weird piece of electronics right then and there. When I really can't wait for shipping, and I'm prepared to pay the exorbitant mark-up, I'm quite happy there's a Radioshack nearby. Doesn't happen often, but maybe enough people like me keep the business afloat?

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:

actually no they wont............not a fan of the store or the team, but the shack as a corporation is very lucrative, look into it 4 to 5 billion on annual revenue, they dont choose high cost square footage locations and dont pay there employees including management loads.........no i dont and have never worked for the shack, a while back fast comp. did a research buss piece and discovered they are quite flush

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
They should throw the boat at Tejay van Garderen (a kid I think will win the Tour some day) and then they will have the double headed American threat with Phinney for the Classics and Tejay for the Tour which will keep American cycling fans happy and keep American businesses in the sport

A

Anonymous

Clemson Cycling said:
They should throw the boat at Tejay van Garderen (a kid I think will win the Tour some day) and then they will have the double headed American threat with Phinney for the Classics and Tejay for the Tour which will keep American cycling fans happy and keep American businesses in the sport

No they won't. American sports fans like shiny sparkly thingies, and mythical heroes are one of their favorites (with a heavy emphasis on "myth" in this instance). Tejay and Mini Phinney just don't have the sex appeal.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
We bought an HDTV+bluray for Xmas. Had to get a few HDMI cables. RadioShack sold them for about $40, Lowes for $25-30, then I went online and got 3 for $1.99 each plus $5 S&H or so. I've no idea how Radioshack stays in business. Color me surprised. Or confused, like the guy who wrote the Onion piece.

Well, yeah, sort of. ;)

I think their business model is to sell ****ty quality over-priced electronic crap like cell phone chargers to teenagers that don't have the brains or patience to shop. I don't know how they stay in business either. They have a store near office and I don't think I've noticed 6 people going in or out in the past year.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
No they won't. American sports fans like shiny sparkly thingies, and mythical heroes are one of their favorites (with a heavy emphasis on "myth" in this instance). Tejay and Mini Phinney just don't have the sex appeal.

I don't know...a little spray tan, some oil and they could do another version of LA's training book. At least the guys/girls/guygirls that bought that media will be interested.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's an interesting question. I think it will depend on whether Armstrong in some way wants to continue to own the team and play a role in selecting riders. The squad is quite an aging bunch but there are a few promising young guys in there that could do something in the next few years.

I can't see Hoggy sticking around once Lance has gone, bit hard for the team to continue with no management. Maybe new management could come in and take the team away from Hog but it would probably be an enitrely new team, new sponsors etc.

Ferminal said:
I can't see Hoggy sticking around once Lance has gone, bit hard for the team to continue with no management. Maybe new management could come in and take the team away from Hog but it would probably be an enitrely new team, new sponsors etc.

I agree but I don't think Novitzky and Miller have the experience to manage a team at this level.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
step23 said:
Maybe that's why AC visited TRS bus to give the watches: preparing for the transfer season to open soon after the TdF is over?

i wonder why AC waited a year, he gave the other rider's their watches a while ago, did he not receive his portion of the prize pot from winning last year's TdF yet from JB and this was his way of saying your scum and i'm not.....:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS