• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Whereabouts" question

It occurred to me again as a result of Brads accident, but its something that I thought of at several points.

Brad presumably filed his whereabouts and designated hour as being at home, then got carted to hospital. Its entirely possible he updated his info for this morning via smartphone, designated team person or his wife in which case this becomes moot.

Under these circumstances if a tester arrived, and found him not at home in the designated hour window, it would normally be one of 3 strikes before a case is put together. Is there a mechanism for someone to appeal a strike, on "extenuating circumstances" grounds, or do you just have to deal with having the strike for the next 18 months ?

Catwhoorg said:
It occurred to me again as a result of Brads accident, but its something that I thought of at several points.

Brad presumably filed his whereabouts and designated hour as being at home, then got carted to hospital. Its entirely possible he updated his info for this morning via smartphone, designated team person or his wife in which case this becomes moot.

Under these circumstances if a tester arrived, and found him not at home in the designated hour window, it would normally be one of 3 strikes before a case is put together. Is there a mechanism for someone to appeal a strike, on "extenuating circumstances" grounds, or do you just have to deal with having the strike for the next 18 months ?

I think that it would be 'cleared'. I also guess this is why someone like Wiggins has Fran on her pay as you go, to do the necessary to update.

Isn't this the reasoning behind Williams' panic room incident - that she was trying to get out an OOC test.

Also, (and Skyfanboys I am not saying this was the case) don't forget Thanou and Kenteris who of course faked an accident to get out of testing.

Catwhoorg said:

There was a Belgique cyclist who was attending the funeral of his baby son when a tester showed. He walked out the door and asked to miss the test. They wouldn't allow him. He said it would take him 30 mins to p1ss and could he do when he gets back. Still wouldn't let him. If you refuse a sample it's an instant positive rather than a strike violation.

Then you have Lance who can take a shower and then give a sample.

thehog said:
There was a Belgique cyclist who was attending the funeral of his baby son when a tester showed. He walked out the door and asked to miss the test. They wouldn't allow him. He said it would take him 30 mins to p1ss and could he do when he gets back. Still wouldn't let him. If you refuse a sample it's an instant positive rather than a strike violation.

You choose the hour that you are available. If you choose an hour that is mid-funeral, you are agreeing that this hour is suitable.

I would imagine that they have contingency for situations like Brads.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
You choose the hour that you are available. If you choose an hour that is mid-funeral, you are agreeing that this hour is suitable.

It's not difficult to imagine that editing your wherabouts information can become completely meaningless and irrelevant in a situation where you have to make arrangements for your childs funeral.

Talking of wherabouts, doping tests and hospitals Konstantinos Kenteris and Ekaterini Thanou springs to mind.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:

History says - It depends on who you are.

Read "the scapegoat" : If your name is "rasmussen" and the year is 2006/7 - the whereabouts error will turn into a strike regardless of explanation offered. In fact - with his first strike in 2006, he was not even given the chance to explain - it became a strike on the first letter in violation of procedure. If you were any other Danish rider of the same era, the same explanations would result in no further action. "Flew to race one day early because of awkward travel logistics/timetables" was fine for all the other riders, but not for Rasmussen despite the fact of a test when he got there. Worse still the decision was taken by some low ranking official within a local DA without reference to others, and no frame of reference for taking the decision. Even how many testers can come and test you was a variable number. For some, the Danish. the local DA, would want to test you as well as UCI. But not with others like Spanish of the time. One time MR got a strike because the english version of the regs allowed mail update, the french version did not. MR read the english, and got a strike because he should have known ( by telepathy presumably) the french was the right one!

More recently Rasmussen got a strike for being 4 whole hours late in providing his whereabouts for the period ahead. I doubt that other riders have been given a strike for that.

That is mcquaids true legacy.
Complete and utter shambles.
A wholly vindictive Shambles.

In which justice matters less on what you have done, than by who you are...
So Bradley is "Liked" and the "pin up" of clean cycling ( as Armstrong was according to UCI until last year!!!) , so he could get away with murder right now (figuratively speaking) - I am guessing that would change if he made the mistake of criticising either UK doping or UCI in general, Pat in particular, then he would be a marked man like Rasmu...with a serious of banana skins appearing designed to trip him up.

thehog said:

In line with this I did wonder what would happen to Cav if he was putting Peta in the car en-route to the hospital when his daughter was due.

Somethings are just more important than a drugs test.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:

You choose the hour where you guarantee your location. That doesn't mean that you are only tested during that hour. They can test you any time.

My experience is most test are done outside the guaranteed hour.