• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which out of contract rider will be flying in the vuelta?

• Txurruka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Nice topic! Should be interesting to find out, let's see based on the poll options I'm going to shoot for Valverde, I think pappy will look his age this time around even though I hope I'm wrong and he's a beast again

Luigi_Max

BANNED
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Valverde is declining as a rider and having ridden the Tour will not do much
Horner who knows what will happen there, nothing will be surprising after last year
Evans is riding to support Sanchez and I think he will be true to this. Break stage win is probably his best chance of doing anything if he loses a lot of time and Sanchez is nowhere as well
Sanchez also looks to be well past it but might show glimpses of his old self. Highly unlikely to be doing much of too much note.
Betancur is probably too fat but if he gets through the first week without too much time loss might ride himself into form to do surprisingly well. At least he has youth on his side.
Cunego has not done anything much and I cannot see that changing, could scrap a top ten but even that does not look likely.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Luigi_Max said:
Valverde is declining as a rider and having ridden the Tour will not do much
Horner who knows what will happen there, nothing will be surprising after last year
Evans is riding to support Sanchez and I think he will be true to this. Break stage win is probably his best chance of doing anything if he loses a lot of time and Sanchez is nowhere as well
Sanchez also looks to be well past it but might show glimpses of his old self. Highly unlikely to be doing much of too much note.
Betancur is probably too fat but if he gets through the first week without too much time loss might ride himself into form to do surprisingly well. At least he has youth on his side.
Cunego has not done anything much and I cannot see that changing, could scrap a top ten but even that does not look likely.

UCI said:
1 1 VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro ESP19800425 MOVISTAR TEAM (MOV) 462
2 2 CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto ESP19821206 TINKOFF-SAXO (TCS) 407
3 3 NIBALI Vincenzo ITA19841114 ASTANA PRO TEAM (AST) 392
4 4 QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander COL19900204 MOVISTAR TEAM (MOV) 345
5 5 PERAUD Jean-Christophe FRA19770522 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) 300
probably declined from zero place:rolleyes:

I'd love to see a Il Principe show, wont happen though

Here's the CQ graph of that declining rider :p

graphRiderHistory.asp

Luigi_Max

BANNED
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Valverde did not climb very well in the Tour, not finishing second was a failure. I think there are signs he is heading the same way as Evans, he looked very much like Evans at times although not as nearly as bad yet. In my view age is catching up with him and having done the tour will be a negative this year. He still has had a great year in one day races, winning 5 1 day races plus good results in a number of others. His CQ ranking is high because of this plus the Tour being quite weak.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Piccolo principe travelling 10 years back in time.

Hell yeah, all the favourites will try to stay with Horner on the climbs when suddenly another lampre rider appears from nowhere and drops every single one of them:D

I think Dan Martin has something to prove after a the bitter disappointment of the Giro. I think he will ride well without making the podium. Quintana might be the one to put on a show. He has had no injury problems or falls like Froome and Contador and won the Giro decisively. It's just about how he handles a second GT I think. Talansky will also be hungry to do well after his Tour disappointment and should still have fresh legs.