• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which Torque Wrench?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
So, I just bought a fancy new bike and now I need a fancy new tool so I don't break it. I've seen a few different clicker-type wrenches but can't really tell which to buy.

I've seen the Park TW-5, the Effetto Giustaforza Torque Wrench, and the Cyclo wrench (cheaper, but never heard of the brand), and Pedro's version.

Most (except the Cyclo) are in the same price range.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Murray

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Well, I may be stating the obvious here but you need a half inch drive for the BB anyway. Also you need to put a lot of torque to over stress the bb so I wouldn't bother getting one unless you need one for other things like a car. A small drive like the one that we are talking about is much more important as it's easy to over tighten (or under tighten!!) the stem/headset and bars. Almost any one will do but some are more accurate then others. I tested my cheap one ($40) against a shop one ($150) and found them to be very close.