• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whiskies of the world

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
What whiskies, in all their various styles, do you prefer?

my favorites as follows:

Rye: Sazerac (my alltime favorite whiskey of any style)
Straigt Bourbon: Wild Turkey (101 proof or 81 proof - they're both great)
Blended Bourbon: Jeremiah Weed
Wheated Bourbon: Rebel Yell
Tennesee Whisky: George Dickel No. 12
Canadian: Canadian Club Reserve
Single Malt Scotch: Glenmorangie
Blended Scotch: Teachers
Irish: Red Breast
Sorghum Whiskey: Queen Jennie, phenomenal stuff this. Worth seeking out.
Japanese: I've yet to taste any Japanese whiskies. Any recommendations?

The Overated:

Jack Daniels - It's beyond me how anyone thinks this sh*t's worth drinking.
Crown Royal - not bad per se, but nothing special. Certainly not worth its price.
Maker's Mark - see above.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a favorite of every type of whiskey, but I certainly like Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Ardbeg (I wish I could get my hands on another bottle of Airigh Nam Beist!), and Cragganmore. I seem to remember liking Red Breast, but it's been a while since I've had it.

I agree with your overrated list, except I don't think anyone I know actually considers Jack Daniels to be good.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
on the wheated bourbon list I would put Makers Mark far above Rebel Yell.....and of course Pappys above all of them. Agree on Sazerac, it is yummy.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
LouieLouie said:
Yamazaki absolutely magnificent if you want to go Japanese.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try this, assuming it's available in my area and not too expensive.

Race Radio said:
on the wheated bourbon list I would put Makers Mark far above Rebel Yell.....and of course Pappys above all of them.

Wheated bouron is probably my least favorite style of whiskey, although, admittedly, I really haven't dwelved much into wheated bourbons. The last wheated bourbon I've tried was W.L. Weller. It was ok, but nothing I'd ever seek out. I'll definetely have to try Pappys though.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
WHISKEYS? Meh, death to whiskies. Foget them - beer is good food. Whiskey is a good battlefield antiseptic.

Beer - ale - bock - stout - the combo of grain malts, hops for flavor, and the proper yeast for your ingredients (the yeast also has a dramatic impact on flavor) - let them stew themselves for a few days - no chemicals - no distillation necessary - all completely natural - and you have god's own beverage.

Just my .02

I prefer a balanced ale of the British style - good malt body, with texture, and flavor, balanced by enough hop bitterness and aromatics to stand with the sweetness and levity of the malt, finished with a yeast that puts it all together with lightness and life. Bottled sunshine!

A lot of microbrewers today are over-enthusiastic for hoppiness, imo. I think this is an over-reaction to the complete and utter flavorlessness of the "American lager" typified by Bud, Miller, and Old Milwaukee. Balance is a beautiful thing.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
WHISKEYS? Meh, death to whiskies. Foget them - beer is good food. Whiskey is a good battlefield antiseptic.

Beer - ale - bock - stout - the combo of grain malts, hops for flavor, and the proper yeast for your ingredients (the yeast also has a dramatic impact on flavor) - let them stew themselves for a few days - no chemicals - no distillation necessary - all completely natural - and you have god's own beverage.

Just my .02

I prefer a balanced ale of the British style - good malt body, with texture, and flavor, balanced by enough hop bitterness and aromatics to stand with the sweetness and levity of the malt, finished with a yeast that puts it all together with lightness and life. Bottled sunshine!

A lot of microbrewers today are over-enthusiastic for hoppiness, imo. I think this is an over-reaction to the complete and utter flavorlessness of the "American lager" typified by Bud, Miller, and Old Milwaukee. Balance is a beautiful thing.

I prefer a good Czech Pilsen style. Saaz hops and a good head.

A British style ale after that.

Canadian Whiskey I prefer Forty Creek Rye to anything from CC.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Wow, you guys are like wine connoisseurs. I just stick to Johnny Walker and I have no idea about any of the varying styles except the basic Scotch and Bourbon :eek:.

My whisky cabinet currently contians:

12 y/o Highland Park (great easy-drinking whisky)
16 y/o Ardbeg (probably the best)
12 y/0 Caol Ila
10 y/o Tobermory
12 y/0 Bunnahabhain (pronounced Buna-haven)
18 y/o Bowmore

All very different, all very nice.

There are a few miniatures lying around too. Whisky is one of the benefits of living in Scotland, Islay is a must visit.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Swifty's Cakes said:
All west coast malts there must be something about the salt air. I prefer Speyside and in particular Arbelour.

It's the peat in the soil on Islay.

Anyone else tried Old Pultney? Went through most of a bottle with a friend a while ago and really enjoyed it. found it light and smooth, but then I mostly drink Laphroaig which... isn't.

There's better bourbons than Maker's. Blanton's and Four Roses are worth investigating for the brownest of brown liquors

Japanese - Yamazaki is good, Nikka is better. similar to the Speyside scotches if you're looking for a comparison

Nothing beats a Lagavulin though

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried Old Fitzgerald? All I know is that it's a wheated bourbon (admittedly not a style I'm overly too with) and it seems to be fairly popular. I was going to get some Pappy Van Winkle. But did a little checking and.. it's just a wee bit out of my price range. :eek:

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Highland Park 18 years old, simply the best.

Other than that my favorite party drinks are some ciderbeer called Somersby, lots of calouries with is essential if you wanna party half the weekend :cool:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Scotch tasting night Saturday night. A little hungover :)

scotchnight_zps538d81a3.jpg

Lagavulin is still my favourite peaty single malt. Really enjoyed both the 12yo Aberlour and the Jura Superstition. And then someone produced the 1971 Glenmorangie. At $600/bottle, most of us only dared a small tasting but it was very smooth and nice.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I didn't mind it, but it wasn't my favourite and there would be other bottles I would buy before The Glenrothes personally. My bottle of Lagavulin is almost empty :D

Libertine Seguros said:
The Lagavulin 16 is what alcohol was invented for.

See also Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Laphroaig and Talisker.

Jeez I can almost smell these from here:) Having Speyside roots I should prefer them but the West coast Whisks do it for me. But I went off Talisker after a visit to the distillery and found out they add caramel:eek: Laga, Ardbeg or Laphroaig = heaven:)

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I've got to give you guys respect, I'll say that. Interesting to read about what's going on in the whiskey world.

I could tell a couple stories about corn likker from Arkansas and Tennessee - but that really wouldn't be gourmet level tasting, eh? Anyway, more power to ya.

Cheers;

H

hiero2 said:
I've got to give you guys respect, I'll say that. Interesting to read about what's going on in the whiskey world.

I could tell a couple stories about corn likker from Arkansas and Tennessee - but that really wouldn't be gourmet level tasting, eh? Anyway, more power to ya.

Cheers;

H

Hah, do tell:) My dad, and I should really press him on this, alludes to a story of home brewed Hooch with twigs and leaves and goodness knows what else in there;)

TRENDING THREADS