• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whisky & Irish Whiskey Watch!

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Whisky Watch; for best prices and offers! - Most supermarkets have promotions on at some point. But, knowing when and where the best offers are at any given time, depends on finding out who's running them; and what supermarket has a promotion on WHAT Brand of Whisky (Whiskey) it would be helpful to gleen this information from each other in a Whisky Watch! We could also use this thread to recommend our favourite tipple; and discuss the best of Whiskies, be it blended or single malts, the best brands and the best place to buy? If you've seen a special offer? Let us know and share the pleasure of finding a bargain whisky with the forum.

I'm partial to a single malt or two each night - just before I retire for bed.

What's your favourite and where do you buy it?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Mostyn said:
I'm partial to a single malt or two each night - just before I retire for bed.

Bottle or glass ? :S I am a terrible scotsman I do not like whisky at all, maybe I should try and make an effort to like it so I can feel better about myself

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am not a huge fan, but my in-laws love the scotches from Islay. Very peaty. Our favourites are Laprhoaig and Ardbeg.

Favourite place to buy these is definitely the Cayman Islands - less than $30!

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Lagavulin is a gift from God.

Someone with extremely good taste! Do you drink the strong stuff without water added? I like the Lagavulin 12yr, old malt - I drink it neat. Their really strong whisky is beyond my price range; and way too strong to drink neat.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
I dont drink whiskey but when i did drink it, it was the Paddy Whiskey brand which is locally produced here in Cork.

The Irish Whiskeies have a smooth mild taste to them, I like the Tulla-More-Dew also Bushmills, managed to get a bottle of each while they were on offer at Tesco for just £15, a bottle.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
elapid said:
I am not a huge fan, but my in-laws love the scotches from Islay. Very peaty. Our favourites are Laprhoaig and Ardbeg.

Favourite place to buy these is definitely the Cayman Islands - less than $30!

Laprhoaig - Ardbeg are an acquired taste in Whisky. Not my favourites.

Mostyn said:
Someone with extremely good taste! Do you drink the strong stuff without water added? I like the Lagavulin 12yr, old malt - I drink it neat. Their really strong whisky is beyond my price range; and way too strong to drink neat.
I will drink most things neat, though with cask strength stuff I will occasionally add a drop of water. The Lagavulin 16 is one of the wonders of the world.
Mostyn said:
Laprhoaig - Ardbeg are an acquired taste in Whisky. Not my favourites.
I like both. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask in particular is excellent. I also have to declare a strong love of Caol Ila.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Middleton's Very Rare..... last bottle I bought was in 2002, at Dublin Airport duty-free, at EUR100 a bottle..... Drink it on the best occasions only!

The best Irish whiskey I have ever had the privilge to taste - a great aspect of racing "the Ras", we ocasionally had a night in Middleton, so a chance to drink the best:)

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
3625.jpg

single barrel jack daniels, best one I can afford. Still have 4/5th of that bottle, really like it tbh..

best one I ever had was one with my uncle, but I forgot the name, it was something scottisch

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Necter of the gods.

10 years ago I used to be able to get the 12 year old for $19.99.....now I have to order it for $75.....grrrrr.

We have State run liquour stores in Washington and they only carry main brands unless you order a case....I've been lucky enough to find a local store that keeps several bottles from a restaurant order and guard it carefully. Caught my wife about to add it to coffee the other night with a perfectly good bottle of Maker's Mark sitting next to it. She almost lost her arm.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Single malt all the way

goes down like butter since I first hit a wee dram at about my 12 birthday The only thing Dad regrets more than that is buying me my first bike

to this day I can not figure out why it burns some people

Does this winkle have a Single Malt?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
We have State run liquour stores in Washington and they only carry main brands unless you order a case....I've been lucky enough to find a local store that keeps several bottles from a restaurant order and guard it carefully. Caught my wife about to add it to coffee the other night with a perfectly good bottle of Maker's Mark sitting next to it. She almost lost her arm.

Cross Worlds is in Louisville.....I am going for the Bourbon. Hope I find time to see the race :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I should also mention that in addition to the Islay single malt scotches, which I have been introduced to only recently, I have always been partial to a drop of Jack and another nice drop is Powers Irish Whiskey.

pernod_ricars_powers750ml_preview.jpg

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
Middleton's Very Rare..... last bottle I bought was in 2002, at Dublin Airport duty-free, at EUR100 a bottle..... Drink it on the best occasions only!

The best Irish whiskey I have ever had the privilge to taste - a great aspect of racing "the Ras", we ocasionally had a night in Middleton, so a chance to drink the best:)

Middleton is a very nice drop of liquid, especially their 18yr, old Malt.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I will drink most things neat, though with cask strength stuff I will occasionally add a drop of water. The Lagavulin 16 is one of the wonders of the world.

I like both. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask in particular is excellent. I also have to declare a strong love of Caol Ila.

What sort of £price you getting the Lagavulin for? I think the Cask strength would be a bit harsh for me? I never take water with any whisky; and it would be a crime to ad water to a single malt of quality.

Some really nice whiskies on the market at present, even some of the blended malts are extremly tasteful.

Just the tiniest drop of water can help bring out flavours though; that's why often on tasting notes they include the taste with water. I would never advocate drinking it in the Japanese style, with lots of water, though. And I will never add a drop of water to a drink I haven't already been drinking, it would be like seasoning your food before tasting it.

The Caol Ila cask strength is a thing of wonder, an absolute explosion of peat, but at 61,6% not for everybody - it's the kind of thing that actually can be made more palatable to some with a drop of water. I drink it neat, and love it as it is, but I would never hold it against somebody for adding a drop of water there.

If they decided to mix it with coke or serve it on the rocks, I might have to bring in the heavies.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Just the tiniest drop of water can help bring out flavours though; that's why often on tasting notes they include the taste with water. I would never advocate drinking it in the Japanese style, with lots of water, though. And I will never add a drop of water to a drink I haven't already been drinking, it would be like seasoning your food before tasting it.

The Caol Ila cask strength is a thing of wonder, an absolute explosion of peat, but at 61,6% not for everybody - it's the kind of thing that actually can be made more palatable to some with a drop of water. I drink it neat, and love it as it is, but I would never hold it against somebody for adding a drop of water there.

If they decided to mix it with coke or serve it on the rocks, I might have to bring in the heavies.

Some strong fire water there. I have tried some of the Spey Cask Strength in years gone bye, but must admit to liking the standard strength Malts. Just finished a bottle of Glen-Orrin a blended selection of Malt Whiskies. I really enjoyed it; and will certainly get another bottle! I'm back on the Irish Bushmills now, I'll try looking for something new for my next bottle. A bottle lasts me about 8, 10, days, I usually have a dram or two each night as a night-cap.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A client gave me a sizable gift card to the local grog shop. The third and fourth single malts from the left are my new purchases: 12-year-old Lagavulin and 12-year-old Cragganmore. As you can see from how full the bottles are that I am not a huge drinker, but like the Islay scotches. I bought the Lagavulin based on recommendations from this forum, but also wanted to try single malts from a different region and hence bought the Cragganmore from Speyside.

IMG_4557.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Scotch tasting at my place on the weekend. Good time had by all. The Macallan won by a whisker from the Lagavulin and Aberlour.

photo-4.jpg

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Nice catch, elapid!

--

Libertine Seguros said:

"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch." - Lt. Archie Hicox, 1945. (Well, ok, Quentin Tarantino, 2009.)