• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who can stop Boonen?

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
After his fantastic ride in the P-R I just wonder who can stop this guy apart from Cancellara? Tom is just 31 and can dominate for many more years.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen no one can really manage 2 amazing seasons in a row these days (Cancellara great 2010, 2011 not so much; Gilbert inhuman 2011, 2012 does not seem that great yet). So, I wouldn't worry that much.

To the question,no one can stop Boonen, other than Cancellara, but thats enough :D

Well in RVV Sagan and maybe 1 or 2 other guys can stop Boonen, Gilbert, Breschel perhaps, Ballan if he stays the same.

In PR no one.

ccyclo said:
By the way, why didn't sagan race P-R?

Cos he was racing so much and he feels he can win Amstel gold.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
To the question,no one can stop Boonen, other than Cancellara, but thats enough.

Well in RVV Sagan and maybe 1 or 2 other guys can stop Boonen, Gilbert, Breschel perhaps, Ballan if he stays the same.

In PR no one.

Cos he was racing so much and he feels he can win Amstel gold.

i've been reading your posts about the cancellara vs boonen duel..

while i believe that canc could drop boonen in RVV, i seriously believe that tom would have won roubaix anyway.

about this topic... i just can't wait to watch sagan during the next 15 years..

Cancellator said:
From what I've seen no one can really manage 2 amazing seasons in a row these days (Cancellara great 2010, 2011 not so much; Gilbert inhuman 2011, 2012 does not seem that great yet). So, I wouldn't worry that much.

I think Cancellara was just as good in 2011, he just had a crap team so lost Flanders on a 50k solo even though he was clearly the strongest and got tactiacally owned by Garmin in PR rendering his strength worthless.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I think Cancellara was just as good in 2011, he just had a crap team so lost Flanders on a 50k solo even though he was clearly the strongest and got tactiacally owned by Garmin in PR rendering his strength worthless.

Yes I did not say he had bad form, he is consistently super strong. I just said it's hard to have two excellent seasons(i.e. with many victories) in a row. Many factors come into play here, including other teams wising up to how good you are and marking you, not just form.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cancellator said:

Boonen 2005/2006 ;)

IF Boonen is good then there are very few cyclists able to fight him.

Ronde van Vlaanderen

* Fabian Cancellara IS stronger here, Boonen will need to be able to hang on.
* An in-form Philippe Gilbert especially with the more hilly finale
* Filippo Pozzato is a bit unlucky: Stronger than Boonen on the hills but weaker than Cancellara. Stronger than Cancellara in the sprint but weaker than Boonen.
* Peter Sagan if he keeps growing like this

Paris-Roubaix

* Fabian Cancellara is probably stronger here too, but by a much smaller margin.
* Thor Hushovd if he can hang on for a sprint

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If he learns to not crash in Roubaix maybe...

All Boonen needs to win now is Milan-San Remo and his career would be close to perfection for someone of his capabilities. Perhaps a point jersey in the Vuelta, but then again, who gives a damn about those things!

Too many of these. Nothing else.
waffles.jpg

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
What about Sep Vanmarcke, Edvald BH, Greg van Avermat, Stijn Devolder if he ever returns to form, John Degenkolb, Leukemans?

Matt Heyman impressed me in PR, 8th, does he ever ride for his own chance?

Boeing said:
not sure but his little brother did
They didn't want to risk burning him out, Sagan has already done a lot of racing this year for someone so young.

I can see some of the young guns giving Boonen a closer run in the northern classics next year. Sagan, Thomas, Van Marcke, Degenkolb, Phinney, Turgot, Langeveld, Stannard and possibly even Luke Durbridge are a few of the younger guys who look like becoming real contenders in the next year or two.

Boonen and Cancellara won't have it all their way.