• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who rode the hardest in 09?

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Even though I'm not a big fan, I thought Tyler Farrar rode really hard for little results. Except at the end of the year when Cav called it a season.

To me, it means someone who is riding hard in Feb/March and is still riding hard in October.
I'd agree with Cyclegeek's pick of Tyler Farrar. One of the few to attempt all 3 GT's but took his first win of the season in Tirreno-Adriatico, mid March.
Philippe Gilbert would also make my list.
My guess is, it should go to some lowly domestique, but since they can be anonymous......

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
To me, it means someone who is riding hard in Feb/March and is still riding hard in October.
I'd agree with Cyclegeek's pick of Tyler Farrar. One of the few to attempt all 3 GT's but took his first win of the season in Tirreno-Adriatico, mid March.
My guess is, it should go to some lowly domestique, but since they can be anonymous......

Julian Dean finished all three grand tours. And he got shot.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I would say Cavendish because he rode all season to the point of illness in the ToM, but then you have to think about the guys that led him out all season like Big George (even though he only raced one GT) and Mark Renshaw. It's hard to say though. Tyler Farrar raced his *** off and had minimal results until late in the season, so I would include him also.

Beech Mtn said:
Julian Dean finished all three grand tours. And he got shot.

Did he actually get shot or are you referring to the air rifle incident at the Tour?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

+1. Those guys have little choice on what races they ride. They have to charge hard for 75% of a race and then finish anonymously at the back. That's harder than contesting a designated race.
I can say this is likely Tyler's hardest pro racing season but he also has banked many miles in the past. Horner also routinely logs mega miles in the early season. That doesn't make you faster, necessarily.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jeremy Hunt. Acted as an aerofoil for Cervelo's podium contenders for 5 months and managed a win, a couple of podiums and top 20 in a couple of Classics. Under-appreciated.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Jeremy Hunt. Acted as an aerofoil for Cervelo's podium contenders for 5 months and managed a win, a couple of podiums and top 20 in a couple of Classics. Under-appreciated.

Agreed. He had alot of protected riders under one roof. Domestiques like him should make some good dough, too.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Before or after they got busted? Di Luca looked great in the Giro...until......

knucklephuck has the latest breaking news here on the cycling news forum.

read it hear first

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Haussler was impressive in the early season, Cancellara throughout the year (whether for himself or the team), definitely Gilbert and Cavendish, I would also rate Cunego this year, and perhaps Van Summeren. O'Grady and Voigt would normally be up the top of this list, but not so much this year because of injuries.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Haussler was impressive in the early season, Cancellara throughout the year (whether for himself or the team), definitely Gilbert and Cavendish, I would also rate Cunego this year, and perhaps Van Summeren. O'Grady and Voigt would normally be up the top of this list, but not so much this year because of injuries.

+1 on Cancellara.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Fab is a good call

I don't know why I picked Horner. Probably not enough time in the saddle to qualify as someone suggested but he broke riders legs when he did. damn dude is sick

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Most kilometers:
1. Christophe Brandt (Bel/Sil) 16.641 km
2. Olivier Kaisen (Bel/Sil) 16.348
3. Johnny Hoogerland (Ned/Vac) 16.105
4. Philippe Gilbert (Bel/Sil) 15.987

one of these guys I would think... Gilbert has the most wins/best season and still put in a huge amount of miles.

TRENDING THREADS