• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the next great French GC rider?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Descender said:
The first one to dope.

do you mean this?

maurice-garin.jpg

nah he's way too dead.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
You would also have difficulty coming up with a more French name than Nicolas Roche, unless you can find a rider called Pierre Baguette.

If people of Irish extraction born abroad start declaring for the land of their actual birth it would be a national disaster! Not only would we lose three quarters of our ProTour riders, we'd never have a decent football team again.
And Sam Bennett our young rider with most potential was born in Belgium.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
bhilden said:
It is really amazing to think that the French haven't won their home race since 1985. For one entire generation of French people, they haven't had a rider capable of winning the Tour. I don't think that is going to end any time soon.

It's not nearly as bad a Britain's record at Wimbledon, by far the worst record of a nation at one of it's own sporting institutions. (At least Britain have a 'hope' though)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I've changed my mind.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot.

Current Junior World RR champ, double Junior World MTB champ, twice second in the Junior World TT champs, European U23 ITT champ, second in the European U23 RR, and just came top 10 in the women's CX worlds.

And she's 19.

I googled her straight away, sounds like she is pretty good across all disciplines, France's answer to Marianne Vos perhaps?

In order to answer this question you first need to address the causes of the French drought; and that's a tough call. It's really not clear to me why French cycling experienced such a rapid drop-off after the 80s. All of the other traditional cycling powers have continued to produce big talent. The Dutch too have had a bit of a dry spell, but nothing like the French case. People whose memory of the sport goes back less than a decade often say that it's a result of cycling's "internationalization," but that's a bit silly. If Belgium, Spain and Italy -- hell, Switzerland and Luxembourg -- can still produce top riders, why can't France?

craig1985 said:
I googled her straight away, sounds like she is pretty good across all disciplines, France's answer to Marianne Vos perhaps?
Perhaps. Vos is more Track+Cross+Road, while Pauline is MTB+Cross+Road, which makes me think that she may be more GC-oriented than Marianne (though apart from the Giro and the now sadly defunct Tour de l'Aude, Marianne could compete in any GC anyway), and less sprinty.
theyoungest said:
Marianne Vos was elite world champion on the road and 'cross at age 19, so not quite :p

But Ferrand-Prévot has the makings of a superstar, if you know what I mean.
Well, you can be somebody's answer to Marianne Vos without actually being as good as Marianne Vos (though saying "not as good as Marianne Vos" is not really a criticism since Marianne's probably the best active cyclist in the world right now).

As for superstar, I assume you mean in the "successful+marketable" sense, and I guess I agree.
Roland Rat said:
Is she the one on the left?

Yea, that's Pauline on the left.

TRENDING THREADS