• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win Ronde van Vlaanderen? (Flanders)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2009 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

• Other

Votes: 19 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

right.. 1,2,3 im going

hoste (as previously tipped), Devolder and flecha

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Kroon, Pozzato and Haussler are in great form. Quick Step is very strong. Although they have no victories this year Gilbert and Hoste are in the gruop of favourites. Cancellara had a lot of problems, but a strong cyclist is always a strong cyclist.
I think that Chainel, Geslin and Goss can do a surprise, not to win but to be at the front of the race.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Somebody please tell Quinziato and Hoste to shut up.... Chava and Boonen are doing EXACTLY what they should be doing. Armchair ride, baby.

Go Van Haecke! Podium for the TopVlan boys

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So any word as to why QuickStep didn't get to use their new Kit?

rvv_20090405_002.jpg

They rolled in with it,

rvv_20090405_003.jpg

But ended up riding with the old kit for the race.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
:eek:
tifosa said:
Chava is playing THE ultimate teammate!

QUESTION:
How did Chavanel "control" the chase group???

Quote from online Cycling mag: "When he [Devolder] attacked Chavanel kept control of the chase group, allowing Devolder to open up a gap of nearly a minute."

I can understand how Devolder's teammates (Chavanel and Boonen) would not then attck and could then afford to hang back. Ok--makes sense. Not likely they chase down their own teammate or cooperate with another team to chase. However, how can a rider "control" a chase group? I mean, s/he can opt to hang back, but how else can s/he control it?

dylanfly said:
:eek:

QUESTION:
How did Chavanel "control" the chase group???

Quote from online Cycling mag: "When he [Devolder] attacked Chavanel kept control of the chase group, allowing Devolder to open up a gap of nearly a minute."

I can understand how Devolder's teammates (Chavanel and Boonen) would not then attck and could then afford to hang back. Ok--makes sense. Not likely they chase down their own teammate or cooperate with another team to chase. However, how can a rider "control" a chase group? I mean, s/he can opt to hang back, but how else can s/he control it?

When a chase group is that small(2 riders at 1st, 3 later when they were rejoined by Van Hecke) and the rider sitting on is a strong rider like Chavanel who is also clearly strong on the day, he is in effect "controlling" the chase group.

Devolder had a big gap by the time they went over the Muur and was still killing it - there was no way Quinziato could bring him back by himself(he had just had a mini-blowup on the Muur trying to stay with Devolder) and it was awhile before Van Hecke rejoined them and he didn't have the legs of Quinz or Chav. So, by refusing to help until it was far too late, he ensured that the chase would not succeed. They would have had to tear themselves inside out to catch Devolder and even if they managed it, a much fresher Chavanel would have immediately attacked and both Quinziato and Van Hecke knew it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Perfect conditions yesterday for racing Flanders. Fantastic race by Quick Step!
I rode the Tour of Flanders on saturday - it`s really great to ride there, I love the hellingen, especially the Muur van Geraardsbergen!

TRENDING THREADS